Program to strip music and only get voice?

Reaction score
idk if it exists but when i was a little kid my nieces father had this program on his PC to cancel out the music and only keep the voice. Is there any program like that for mac and if so do i have to pay for it or is there like a basic type version i'll even try a trial one i just need to cut out the music from the songs so i can use them for a game recording. That or a program that gets rid of the voice and leaves the music. The first one preferred but if nothing then i'll go with the 2nd one
Thanks using snow leopard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 MB, 2.1GHz 4GB RAM, 10.5.8
You can sort of do this in Garageband, that comes free with your mac.

But before explaining how you should do it, if you want to do so with a piece of released music that is not yours, and you do not have the required permissions then (even only for personal use) then this is illegal and as such can not be discussed on this forum.

So, what do you want to use this technique for?

OP
R
Reaction score
Oh well i hope it's not illegal here let me explain myself why i want to do this if its illegal then i will understand even though i hope its not here it goes.
Ok I bought this game MLB 10 The Show in the game you can make your own Cheers/Jeers/Chants. So i thought whoa thats cool so i did some using my voice. But then i thought it would be funny if i could get rid of the background music for some songs and use their voices to record for a cheer. For example i know this spanish song where they say go to **** in spanish but i can't make that into a jeer because of the background music i just wanted to get rid of the music and Keep the vocals so i can make that into a jeer using my bluetooth that works with the ps3 to make the cheers/jeers/chants. For example do you know the song Insane in the membrane? Before it starts he says "who you tryna get crazy with Ese, Don't you know im loco" and i could use that as a cheer since there is no background music. I doubt its illegal because im just using it as a chant and im just using the bluetooth to make it into a cheer while im playing the game. I can only do this while playing an exhibition game. I hope it's not illegal cuz thats all i want to do. Now for the stripping the vocals from music i want to do that because for this album that i bought from kid cudi i like the sound of this one track the very first one and i don't like the lyrics but the music is so peaceful thats what i wanted to get rid of the vocals in that one.
So i hope that explains why i want a program to get rid of the background music for the first part and why i want to get rid of the vocals and leave the background music for the other part.
Hope this isn't illegal and sorry if this is long just wanted to be detailed and sound clear just to make sure if it is illegal or not.
Thanks =]

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.5Ghz C2D 4GB 500GB Seagate 7200RPM / 15" Powerbook G4 1.5Ghz 2GB 160GB Seagate 5400rpm
You can sort of do this in Garageband, that comes free with your mac.

But before explaining how you should do it, if you want to do so with a piece of released music that is not yours, and you do not have the required permissions then (even only for personal use) then this is illegal and as such can not be discussed on this forum.

So, what do you want to use this technique for?

It is only illegal if you are doing it for commercial purposes. Fair use rules apply here. Personal non-commercial use is protected under copyright laws.

OP - you are fine. It is not illegal. Just don't try to make money off of it. ;D

OP
R
Reaction score
lol thanks for answering and yeah i don't have the voice to try and put my voice on a track if people think that or anything illegal im to poor to be able to afford paying those big fines.
But since i've been cleared thanks to chud can someone now explain to me how to do it please lol.

Reaction score
I believe Adobe Audition or Sound Forge have some options that would help you on your issue

Reaction score
stripping music from audio

Couple of questions here....

There are plenty of programes that strip the voices away from tracks and just leave the music, ergo, when these programes are running, there has to be somewhere, a vocal track with no music!

Anyway... I've been toying with an idea for a sketch, kinda like stuff thats been done before, but with music rather than tv interviews, whereby certain acts or artists have the music stripped from their tracks, and then using only their words, a spoof interview takes place.

Once the audio file has been created, it can then be turned into a 2D cartoon like sadam hussein in south park!

Has anybody used any of the above listed programes and actually stripped the music to leave just vocal tracks? or is this all hypothetical talk... stuff of dreams and legends:eek:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac (Mid 2011), 3.4GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, 2GB Video Card, 2TB HDD
Stripping vocals from the music (or vice versa) is a tricky thing to do and it doesn't work all that well on some songs.

The technique usually banks on the hope of the song having the vocals perfectly in phase with the instruments being somewhat out of phase.

In phase = sound appears to be "centered" between the two speakers.
Out of phase = sound becomes more dispersed and spread apart.

The technique relies on isolating the sound that's in phase and removing it leaving only the out of phase instruments.

Problem is that a lot of modern music doesn't do this all that much anymore and vocals will have a whole lot of effects to make the track sound "big". These effects usually involve dispersing the sound.
On the flip side, if any instruments are in phase with the vocals, you will remove those as well.

You can do this technique on just about any song but some are more difficult than others and it is not just a matter of selecting this option in a menu and clicking "process". Some tracks would be just a royal headache to attempt unless you are an industry veteran.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac (Mid 2011), 3.4GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, 2GB Video Card, 2TB HDD
I've used Sound Forge many times in the past but never to strip lyrics from the music (or vice versa). Never had a need to do that. It's not hypothetical talk either though. I have seen demonstrations of people doing it and it sometimes comes out clean and sometimes it doesn't. It really depends on the song and how the thing was mixed in the studio.

It's not just those programs either. Just about any audio editing software can do this stuff. It's a technique done by the user based on the way sound actually works scientifically, not a program feature.

Here is a good youtube video for you to watch.

Create an Acapella in Audacity - Remove Instruments - YouTube

Reaction score
idk if it exists but when i was a little kid my nieces father had this program on his PC to cancel out the music and only keep the voice. Is there any program like that for mac and if so do i have to pay for it or is there like a basic type version i'll even try a trial one i just need to cut out the music from the songs so i can use them for a game recording. That or a program that gets rid of the voice and leaves the music. The first one preferred but if nothing then i'll go with the 2nd one
Thanks using snow leopard

Theres are programs that can kind of do it but I havent found anything that does a well enough job where i can get anything thats usable... I usually use Audacity

Reaction score
Well like i said, i'm trying to create spoof interviews, so to an extent, it doesn't matter if some limited background noise is there... to an extent.

I know what the artists are saying, so its their words i need without backing music.

Can anybody on here do it???

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.