Best networking software to add a Mac to a Windows network?

P

pc_max_mixer

Hi All,

I am a newbie here and not a Mac user at present, however I do have a Mac problem and I hope I am in the right forum for this. If not please move it. It is also possible that this question has been answered before. In this case can you please point me in the direction of the thread that answers it. The system in question is not Mac OSX. I have been asked to plug it into a predominantly Windows network. To do this I realise that pre OSX( <10.0) needs networking software, so I am looking for recommendations on the best software to do this.
Price is a clear consideration but I am looking for the best.

Many thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
You could try using DAVE.
Personally I have no experience with this, but it has seem to have received high ratings from MacWorld Magazine.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Why do you need software. If you are running OS X, you just need to do a little configuring and then you are on the network. As for Dave, I believe that is for file sharing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
pc_max_mixer said:
The system in question is not Mac OSX.

Rman must not stand for reading-comprehension-man. just kidding.

In the pre OS-X OSs networking was set up in a couple of 'control panels' these are accessed either by clicking on the little 6 color apple at the top left or by navigating to HD>>System Folder>>Control Panels.

Now I haven't actually done this in a really long time since I upgraded all my computers to OSX ASAP, but IIRC you need to open 'File Sharing' and turn file sharing ON. then open 'TCP/IP' and the fields are rather like any windows network set-up (pre XP). If anyone can varify, clarify, or correct this, please do so.

Good luck

PS: if your Mac inclined cohort can upgrade to OSX encourage them to do so. eventuyally they will thank you.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I read it twice and miss it, I must be still sleepy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
don't worry rman we all have days moments like that.

As for your question, I really do not know, dave seems nice, although depending on how old the system is can you upgrade to osx?

OP
P

pc_max_mixer

Thanks for all the feedback and help. It looks like Dave is the one. However I reckon it's a touch too expensive for an older system. Unfortunately the option to upgrade to OSX doesn't exist at present. So if I merely want to plug a Mac into a Windows network to allow it Net access and without file/print sharing , is software required or is it just a matter of doing the TCP/IP set-up for the machine?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.