• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Whats wrong with Dell?

Reaction score
Hello
My gf's sister is in the market for a new comp and their Dad has been quizing me on what to get.
He's found some good Dell offers but i was hesitant as i've heard some unfavourable comments.

Are Dell actually any good (forgetting the fact it's a windows machine), i figure they're a big successful company for a reason (and yes i know the M$ are big yet innately evil).

If they suck big time then who are some decent brands to consider?

And remember, we're trying to impress my lady friend's dad so i need top notch advice. :ninja:

Cheers
M

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
tell him you have to be careful when buying a windows machine. Because the hardware is often sub-par and doesn't always sync the greatest with the windows OS. With Longhorn on the sights in aprox. 3 years you will end up buying another machine because the current one will not run longhorn worth a hoot. Inform him that windows xp is riddled with viruses and worms and has not been cleanly updated since 2000(1). Tell him apples past two releases are already ahead of longhorn and longhorn is still 3 years away. In three years apple will release 1-3 more OS's all of which will continue to put longhorn years behind.

Tell him, if hes really serious about buying a Dell, tell him to consider buying an external Firewall/router, along with the latest anti'viral protection. Also tell him in 3 years to fork out another 1000$ on a machine to support longhorn, because the already out of date xp will soon be useless. Remind him of windows 95, that was released 5 years before xp and the difference between xp and 95 is amazing. Tell him long horn is looking at about 6-8 year difference being that xp is already what 95 was in 2000.

Then show him the beautiful world of mac, tell him apple has always been ahead of windows. Tell him apple has not left its users in the dust with a shotty OS promising a new 'wonderful' os in 8 years. Each and every release of Apples OS has been leaps and bounds ahead of XP and longhorn. And, tell him apples new OS releases run on models of apple machines that were made years and years earlier. Ie little G3 Powermacs running tiger which were released over 7 years ago.

But then inform him apple is now in 2007ish going to be using Intel processors which will further improve the already superior apple product.

Then tell him if he really wants to buy a dell to buy a Intel processor of atleast 2Ghz, over 1Gb of RAM, over 80Gb hd, LCD monitor, DVD burner ,USB 2.0 or he will have useless hardcore out of date machine in 3 years.

or he could buy any mac and have a perfectly fine machine in 5-6 years.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac g4 400mhz, 10gb, 256mb ram, OS9
Yes, U can't beat dells prices. I do think that their service is so-so. Someone in my family had a dell laptop and it would not turn on. He had to call dell, which took 30min before they answered it. They sent someone out 2 days later and it happened that the motherboard was bad. It got fixed but then the ethernet didn't work. So for the second time in 1 week the motherboard got replaced! It worked again for about 3 months and then the ethernet stopped working again............... The story goes on, but i'll stop now :) :(

On a more positive note, my dell desktop has been working for 4 years without any problems :) (probally B/C i use the mac more anyway)

If U R looking for an alternate PC brand, i think Gateway is good. They have a good price and the systems come with plenty of HDD space. :mac:

But i agree try introducing him to a mac first!!! :doctor:

S

speedydave

Dell's desktops aren't too bad, but I wouldn't buy a Dell laptop. My sister's Dell laptop has had two hard drives die on her (she bought an iBook after the second time), and my dad's Dell laptop has essentially melted half of its motherboard from either a power supply problem or a short circuit somewhere on the mobo - twice. The HD from my dad's Dell is in my sister's old machine and it's running okay, but for how long is a complete unknown.

If I were going to buy a new wintel machine right now, if it was going to be a desktop, I'd build it myself (though that may not be feasable for them). If I was going to buy a laptop, it'd be a Toshiba, hands down. I bought a friend's old Toshiba before I got my PB, and it was very reliable and performed well. My family's first laptop was also a Toshiba, and even though it's pretty old (P3/Celeron (not sure) Mobile 450mhz, Win98, etc), it's still running strong.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I'd actually consider Toshiba, Sony, IBM and Fujitsu Siemens...
They're the ones I've used over the years and have been as solid as a rock.

The others (Dell, Acer, Gericom) were very poor compared with the better brands.
If it's got to be a laptop - make sure to spend a buck or 2 more, because the wear & tear on mobile machines is always greater than on desktops.

Unless of course she's going to be one of those people who buys a laptop and leaves on the desk all year...

Btw. all my friends who have wintel laptops do that - those with mac's don't... weird coincidence? Or better sleep functionality?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
I usually stick to Toshiba for laptops and HP for desktops.... I started buying either one of those two PC brands back 3-4 years ago and they just seem to be the magic combo for me... no isssues or hardware failures yet.... Well.... Except that they run Windows.

D

damontgo

Toshiba makes excellent laptops... and I'
ve heard a lot of people that are happy with Sony's Vaio

OP
mig.gentry
Reaction score
cheers for the responses (already)

I've tried the Mac angle (maybe i should have said that in forst post, sorry) but she's going to be needing MS Access and some other stuff that windows is a necessity for (IT course at uni, little uni mac support etc..)

But keep the suggestions coming, i'll pass them all on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
damontgo said:
Toshiba makes excellent laptops... and I'
ve heard a lot of people that are happy with Sony's Vaio

Yeah... the couple of Sonys I've played with have been really good too. I've seen one have goofy LCD issues... But that one had lived a rough life. Also they have alot more bundled software you have to uninstall... or it slows them down.

Reaction score
My lid shut switch broke on my Dell laptop, I was able to contact their customer service online(which came in handy because I was in the middle of class and pulling a phone out wouldn't have worked), setup an RMA, the next day I had a box dropped off, the day after that UPS picked up my package, I had it back within a week after I first contacted them.

I'll admit there are better designed laptops out there, but Dell is good enough, mine has held up really well over 2 years of being carried everywhere on campus. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one again. I like the Dell Lattitude D610, which is a business model. Replacement parts are easy to find and cheap...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
Every Dell ive used has been a p.o.s, my friend bought one recently, before it was 6 months old he had already formatted it twice. He has had to call Dells service and support twice, both times they said they would have to research his problem and call back. Well, they never called back. One of the times it was super important because it wouldnt turn on, but since most of us are some what knowledgable about computers we managed to fix it. Dell still hasnt called and its been over 6 months.

Another problem he had with his computer was the graphics card. The week he got the computer the moniter stopped getting power and wouldnt work, so we started checking things. It ended up being that the graphics card worked its way out of the port. The way Dell secures their vid cards and things is by having one big "latch" holding them all in with a screw, so basically you unscrew the screw, pull back the cover and you can plug in/remove cards and things. When they made the computer they forgot to put a screw to hold the latch down and never closed it, so when we opened the computer the vid card was just hanging there.

(Sorry this is so long) If you were going to get a PC I highly recommend Sony Vaio. Ive had one for a little over a year and its been perfect. Probably the best PC ive ever used. It came with a card reader that reads compact flash cards, the sony sticks, etc. it also came with 3 usb ports in the front, a fire wire port, and the red, white, and yellow inputs to hook up vcrs and digital cameras, it also has a serial port in the front.

So as far as pc, ide look heavily at sony vaio, they make good stuff and their support is pretty good too, considering ive only called twice for minor things.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mig.gentry said:
cheers for the responses (already)

I've tried the Mac angle (maybe i should have said that in forst post, sorry) but she's going to be needing MS Access and some other stuff that windows is a necessity for (IT course at uni, little uni mac support etc..)

But keep the suggestions coming, i'll pass them all on.

Tell her to wait a year or two. Once the intel macs come out U will be able to install windowz on them if you wanted to.

If she needs one right away, U could still get a mac and buy Virtual PC and run windowz programs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok while then i guess she should wait a year or two if she can.. If not I also reccomend Sonys,Gateways,and apple monitors:)

E

Ey3 D

Try to make him get a desktop, not a laptop because PC laptops are clunky and perform not so great. I would go with Sony or Dell. Sony's aren't bad but have a lot of hardware issues. My friend's Vaio won't turn on unless you press power twice. Also, my other friend's Vaio ( I am surrounded by PC people :eek:neye: ) the screen wouldn't turn on and he had to restore everything and lost EVERYTHING (he is the one that has the site e.g. signature so he lost all his Photoshop stuff. ) And now his internet is broken.
Anyway, Dell's aren't bad just make sure to beef it up. I have loads of funny PC stuff about my friend's Dell (which I will not share yet) but they have some pretty good machines in terms of PC.
Of course there is always AlienWare :black:

Reaction score
I spent 1,000 us on a desktop and it was sooo! bad. it was came with a celeron instead of a p-3

B

blackscooby

Although this is obviously an Mac forum, my Dell Windoz machine seens to be reliable. General precautions taken (sits behind a ADSL firewall / router, and has McAfee AV) . Cheap as chips, 17" LCD, 3Gb proc, 1.5Gb ram works fine.

It certainly ain't a Mac, and you wouldn't want to show it off to your neighbours or friends like say an iMac G5, but $ per Ghz it certainly goes well enough.

M

mh10190

I just got a computer from this company
Ramson Computers
its very small, its a boutique
They beat dell's prices like crazy
I think they have the best prices
Its tottaly customizable
They use mostly any hardware configuration you want
they only do desktops though
they offer services also
its very local
they run out of new york
the service is very personelized
there # is 917 517 1101
thats the guy who i talked to
his name is mike
check out these specs and the price
Black Steel Case w/ 550w PS
Highend motherboard
AMD Athlon64 3800+
2 GB or Ram
1 TeraByte of hard Drive space
2 Double layer DVD burners
Multi card reader
19" LCD Monitor
256 ATI Raedeon Video card
Creative platiunim sound card
5.1 logitech speaker system
wireless keyboard/mouse
windows pro
$2,800
they offer linux computers aswelll
this is the greated computer company i ever bought from
they also fill it with a bunch of free software
everything youll every really need comes with it
call them up
its worth it

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.