Will be buying a new mac.. help on which one

Reaction score
first off, hi. I'm Nick. I have been a Windows person all my life, and just recently got an old iBook G3 running Tiger. Since then I have been using it more and more over my gaming system.

Ever since creating a fully 100% working hackintosh (i will go into no further details, as i don't know if the discussion is against rules. if it is i will edit this out) I have decided I will be buying a real Mac. My question here though is simply this: Which one??

I know the older PowerPC systems are cheaper, but I also know that you dont buy anything older than a year old when it comes to computers. (am i wrong applying that thinking towards macs?) I also know that PPC computers arent nearly as powerful as the Intel ones, and thus are already in the process of being phased out. (I am looking at G5s, just dont know which ones had the lead-free solder on the logic boards, the problematic water cool design, etc)

I have seen the iMac 27" at best buy. It is a beautiful picture, and seems plenty fast, but I don't know about spending 1600 on something that is limited in terms of upgradability.

A buddy of mine at work bought a Mac Mini, but doesn't play games, so I don't know how they do with games. cute design though, maybe get one for my sister in middle school.

and the Mac Pro. This would most likely be my best option, as it seems to be very upgradeable, not to mention a powerhouse. My only thing is i dont know if i want to drop over 1500 for a computer, let alone almost 3 grand.

basically i play games, surf the web, check email, listen to music, and do very light video editing. I will also be using it to run either windows 7 or XP, (hence another reason for thinking twice about a G5).
what would you guys do in my shoes? im sick of a hackintosh i want a real one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
If you want to run Windows at all that pretty much means you need an Intel Mac - otherwise you'd have to run an emulator and believe me you don't want to do that.

If you are looking for a highly upgradeable, customizable, cheap computer - the Mac isn't it. The Mac Pro is a very nice desktop with high end components but it is getting long in the tooth. They are due for a refresh - but all that means is the new one will be about the same price and the old ones you can get for somewhat cheaper. And you never know when Apple will release a new product so you could be waiting for some time.

That being said - if you think about it $1600 for a desktop with that awesome monitor is a killer deal. Plus there is a displayport in - so as it gets older - you can still use it as another monitor. Also - I've found after 3-5 years the upgrade usually isn't that worth it as opposed to getting a whole new box. I mean I have an AMD AM2 socket now - and all the new chips/mobos are AM2+ or AM3 - nothing really worth upgrading. Maybe Ram? I bought the computer in 2006. What would I keep? Maybe the case. The mobo and video card are way outdated. Anyway that long tirade is that I am no longer convinced that total system upgradability is that worth it to me anymore - you may have a different story.

The mini has been recently upgraded but it still is using lower end components. It too isn't that upgradeable unless you want to void the warranty. Even then the internals are laptop parts (more or less)

If you play games your best bet is to get the fastest system you can afford. I can run Portal with reasonable frame rates on a last generation Macbook Pro so any of the new iMacs should be able to handle 3d gaming no problem - either in Windows or Mac. Also note if you want the high end graphics card - it pushes the core 2 duo iMac to 1849 - which I would say - I'd rather go get the i5 box for $150 more.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.