Cannot Send E Mails

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5-inch: 3.06GHz, 3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo,4GB memory, 500GB hard drive
Hi,

I've just bought a mac and have a problem with Apple Mail, I can receive mails but cannot send them. From a quick google search it looks like quite a few people have the issue but I'm unable to find the solution.

I'm with TalkTalk and have double checked the settings, deleted the account then re entered the details with no luck.

Any help is gratefully received.

Thanks, Brian

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I don't know anything about TalkTalk but will do some searching. Is TalkTalk your ISP and are you using your ISP's email?

Do you have your SMTP settings set correctly?

This is for Thunderbird but the settings are the same in mail. Do you have the smtp address, Username and password set up correctly? Port is 25.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

I've had a look at this and it seems to be covering the set up process I followed when setting up the mail account.

I don't know anything about TalkTalk but will do some searching. Is TalkTalk your ISP and are you using your ISP's email?

Do you have your SMTP settings set correctly?

This is for Thunderbird but the settings are the same in mail. Do you have the smtp address, Username and password set up correctly? Port is 25.

Yes, TalkTalk is my ISP and I'm using their email.

I've double checked the SMTP settings and they are as per the instructions from TalkTalk.

I've checked the username is correct with TalkTalk as this seems to be my broadband username (******@talktalk.net) rather than my e mail adress (BR*****@talktalk.net)

Thanks to you both for the quick reply.

Brian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 MBP 15" i7, 2.66 GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OS-X 10.7.2; iPhone4 iOS 5.0
Port is 25...

Hmmm, yup; but to be completely accurate, it's better to say in most cases the port is 25.

For example, on my (personal) domain, POP is on 110 (pretty common) and SMTP is on 587!!!

Best to check with your ISP exactly what ports they require and set those.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Hmmm, yup; but to be completely accurate, it's better to say in most cases the port is 25.

For example, on my (personal) domain, POP is on 110 (pretty common) and SMTP is on 587!!!

Best to check with your ISP exactly what ports they require and set those.

Not to be mean, TalkTalk setup Flat out says Port 25. Do you live in England and use Talk Talk? I read their setup instructions very closely and it's port 25 for SMTP. 465 is what AT&T Yahoo uses. Some use 587 (they also usually use SSL also which TalkTalk does not. I would doubt that his ISP has the wrong setup info. At least one would hope not.

I even provided a URL to the SMTP email setup for HIS ISP. Port 25.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I read their setup instructions very closely and it's port 25 for SMTP. 465 is what AT&T Yahoo uses. Some use 587 (they also usually use SSL also which TalkTalk does not. I would doubt that his ISP has the wrong setup info. At least one would hope not.

I even provided a URL to the SMTP email setup for HIS ISP. Port 25.

I've been with TalkTalk for a while and have set them up on a few windows based PCs and Laptops and have never found their instructions to be wrong.

I've tried setting the custom port to 25 and leaving the general setting as it was, which if I remember includes port 25.

I think tonight I'll delete the account again and try from clean sheet, if it fails to work I'll put a call into Apple and/or TalkTalk.

Thanks for the reply all :D

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well I deleted the account, set everything up again (for the 5th time...:\) and guess what...everything is working okay. I can now send mails as well as receive them.

I really don't know why this is now working as I just followed the instructions again on the talktalk page. Just one thing, the port defaulted to 110 and this is what it is currently working under.

Well now this is okay time to find out what else my new toy can do ;D

Thanks to all for the replies and advice.

Brian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Go into System Preferences > Network > Advanced > DNS . and make sure there are three IP addresses listed, first one greyed out as your IP address, and two beneath that being Primary and Secondary.

If you do not have them request from your ISP, hit the little + box and add them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 MBP 15" i7, 2.66 GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OS-X 10.7.2; iPhone4 iOS 5.0
Not to be mean...

Not at all ;)

I have absolutely no familiarity with TalkTalk, nor am I in the UK.

I must have missed the bit in your post mentioning you were quoting TalkTalk's own documentation...

My post was merely addressing what I perceived (at the time) to be a fairly sweeping statement, and trying to leave the door open for any necessary further discussion and/or research.

All sorted now?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.