Not so powerful?

V

vicreoy

For many reasons, I have yet to be blown away by any substantial "power" that my 12" powerbook should be showing. I got this powerbook as a graduation present. I am into video editing, photoshop, soundtrack work. None of them open fast, preform fast or even run without the beach ball showing up most of the time. I opened up Photoshop today and while trying to search a webpage got a low memory error. ***! When I used the g4 desktops at school they were much faster than my powerbook. Here are my specs:

Memory: 384 mb
Processor: 867 mb Powerpc G4
Bus speed: 133 mhz

They did put in some additional memory when I got it, and I have read that sometimes that messes things up when it is not installed correctlly. Does anyone have any suggestions or similar stories.

I really am just upset at how slow this machine is, while being so **** expensive.

Peace,
Steve

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
memory installed incorrectly just causes the system to not work. 384mb of ram is really nothing for photoshop and video editing. most people who do serious editing in here go with at least 640+ ram.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
I would max out your RAM. RAM is cheap, and can fix the issues you are experiencing. Check out the link at the top of every page, the one for http://WeLoveMacs.com. They have great prices on RAM, and it is VERY easy to find the correct RAM that you need there.

I have basically the same system as you, and my machine suffers from none of those symptoms.

We now return you to the regularly scheduled broadcast....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
same here.. I have a 667 and don't have those problems, even when I had 512MB ram.. now I have 1 Gig and still don't :)

OP
F

Fomer

I use photoshop 7 with 256 mb of ram with no problem, on my dell I used photoshop 7 with 128 mb of ram. I must preserve my ram pretty well. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
Yeah, more RAM would be a boost.
If you use DiskWarrior, supposidly it virtually adds 20mhz.. (it just feels faster)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.