Help, Cant install os x on my imac g5

Reaction score
So i've got an imac g5 2.1ghz (isight version), which I just upgraded the hdd to 500gb. I'm looking for a fresh install of Mac so I've got tiger on disk.

I put tiger in the imac and hold 'c', it boots to a grey screen with a folder and an exclamation mark.

I put the disk in and hold the option key, it goes to a menu where an hour glass appears for about 3minutes before my tiger install disk is found. The install disk has an image of a disk with a small cross in the bottom right corner (i thought it was supposed to have an image of cd itself, but at least its recognized)

I click the cd to install and it goes to a white screen with the apple logo, after a brief minute, a spinny wheel appears and spins for about 3-5minutes.

The apple logo then changes to a cancel or stop sign but the spinny wheel is still spinning below...I left it for about 40minutes and it didnt go any further.

I've tried several times with the same result, any ideas?

Here are some pictures (click the tabs to see all 4)
http://imgur.com/GFd1A&cYBXT&TqEtd&gJ9h9

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What Tiger DVD is this? A Retail Black DVD? The Tiger DVD that came with your iMac G5? A burned copy?

I own that same machine. Mine came with a Tiger DVD that is Gray.

More info please.

I hope this Tiger DVD is not a DVD that came with another machine like say an Intel Mac.

OP
G
Reaction score
What Tiger DVD is this? A Retail Black DVD? The Tiger DVD that came with your iMac G5? A burned copy?

I own that same machine. Mine came with a Tiger DVD that is Gray.

More info please.

I hope this Tiger DVD is not a DVD that came with another machine like say an Intel Mac.

I cannot find my original disk so I downloaded a powerpc image of tiger and burnt it to use. However, I burnt the image onto a dvd+rw and it wouldnt read it...so i burnt it on a dvd+r DL and it reads it, but does the error stated above.

Please see my edit to the original post for pics.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
So you've illegally downloaded a disk image, it's not working, and you want help with this. Not going to happen here!
You may want to have a read of this:
Mac-Forums.com - Announcements in Forum : OS X - Operating System, focusing on
Respect copyrights and the law.
Don’t discuss or conduct content theft or any other illegal activity. Period. We follow U.S. law on the forums, so just because something might be legal in your country doesn’t mean it will be allowed here. If you’re ever in doubt, contact one of the moderators before you post.

OP
G
Reaction score
So you've illegally downloaded a disk image, it's not working, and you want help with this. Not going to happen here!
You may want to have a read of this:
Mac-Forums.com - Announcements in Forum : OS X - Operating System, focusing on
Respect copyrights and the law.
Don’t discuss or conduct content theft or any other illegal activity. Period. We follow U.S. law on the forums, so just because something might be legal in your country doesn’t mean it will be allowed here. If you’re ever in doubt, contact one of the moderators before you post.

I did own an original copy when I bought the machine but lost it.

I really dont think I can afford to buy a new disk from apple, but if its pretty certain to fix my machine I might have to...I really need it to do assignments and homework.

C

chas_m

Simple solution: call Apple, ask for a copy of Leopard (yes, they still sell it to people in your situation). I'm not sure of the price but I wouldn't be surprised if it was $129+shipping.

Alternatively, buy a RETAIL version of Leopard (or Tiger) off Ebay or some such.

Being incompetent with your original disks is *not* an excuse to pirate.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.