A few Questions

Reaction score
I am thinking of switching of switching to a Mac within the next few months but first I have a few questions. First; if I were to buy a used 500Mhz Powerbook G4 would I be able to upgrade it to something a little faster like 1.3 or 1.4 Ghz? Secondly, I have a wireless network in my house (lynksys 802.11b) would a Powerbook with an Airport card be able to use that network? And last, If I were to put all of my music on a data cd, would I be able transfer it onto the Powerbook?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
1. No there are no processor upgrades for powerbooks available
2. Yes it would connect to the network
3. As long as the files are in mp3/aac/wav/aiff it will work. WMA and Ogg will not work

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
No. I don't think you can change the motherboard on any laptops.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
rman said:
No. I don't think you can change the motherboard on any laptops.

...including PC laptops.
That's the price you pay for portability.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for all your help guys :black:! I have one more question. Is OSX any faster than XP running on a system with the same specs? I know it is more stable but I was wondering if there was any other preformance differences

S

spong

Samsonite said:
Thanks for all your help guys :black:! I have one more question. Is OSX any faster than XP running on a system with the same specs? I know it is more stable but I was wondering if there was any other preformance differences

It's hard to compare specs directly, but my G5 1.8 / 1gb RAM runs about the same as my P4 2.8 / 512mb of RAM. I'm sure a complex benchmark test would show differences, but in the real world I don't find one to be faster than the other.

Regarding stability, XP doesn't crash any more often than OSX. I use both all the time. If your XP box is regularly crashing (like more than once every couple of months), there is a problem somewhere.

Just make sure you get enough RAM for your Mac, they don't work at all well without it. The basic config from Apple is usually too low, get an upgrade when you buy it. You need at least 1gb for each G5 processor.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.