looking to purchase my first mac

Reaction score
Alright, i've been a lifetime pc and linux user, but now that I'm going to be taking a videogame design course, so I thought I'd invest in something worth it, a mac.
I mostly need a mac that can run Maya, and run it well.

I already have a laptop, so I want a desktop, and I'm thinking about an iMac, but the problems facing me are: What options should I get? Refurbished or not?

I'm new to it all, so any help is appreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 MBP | 15" 2.4 GHz i5, 4GB
To start, here's another thread about new vs. refurb you can check out: http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/208632-refurbished-new.html

As for what options you should get, it's kind of something that you would know best. I'm not familiar with Maya, but if it's graphic-intensive of course you'll want to maximize your memory and processor. The top-of-the-line model comes with an i5 that can be upped to an i7, 4gigs standard memory, but perhaps most notably for you it has an upgraded GPU. You're paying for it, though; the new ones start at $2k, though there is currently a refurb available for $300 cheaper.

Do you need all of that? That's something you, or another Maya user if there is one here, would know best. I can see the minimum requirements for the program on their website, but of course that doesn't say much about it's performance.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.