Refurbished or new?

Reaction score
I'm researching purchasing an Macbook for my daughter whose dream is to own and Mac. She has always been a PC kid, but has daydreamed (as I have) to own a Mac. I owned them years ago and loved them.

I'm torn between refurbished and new. There isn't much price different but I think the computer has more.

How do I even begin to compare? Does anyone have any experience with refurbished computers from Apple?
Kathie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Hi Kathie. Welcome to the forum :)

You cant go wrong with Refurbed Macs. They come as new in box and have the beauty of having the same warranty as a new machine. You get 90days phone support and the full 1 yr warranty omn the machine.

Many members in this forum swear by refurb machines and want buy anything else and continue to do so.
If you have any more questions Ask away :)

Cheers

C

chas_m

I've bought mostly refurb'd Macs since I am only rarely in need of the absolute latest and greatest. The experience has been terrific across the last two decades.

OTOH, of course the newest machines have the newest everything -- but in terms of quality and warranty, a refurb is just as good as a new Mac.

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I'm leaning toward the refurbished as I can get a higher quality machine for less price... and I'm not that interested in the latest and greatest, etc. But will keep reading for advice.

Thanks again,
Kathie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ
I'm using a refurb MBP 13. There's no difference in appearance, quality, etc. Pretty much pristine like a new one. You do save some money but must compare and account for tax that Apple charge. If you buy a new one from a reseller there's no tax online. I look at it as getting a computer with all the problems fixed, instead of getting a new without knowing what's going to be wrong :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC
There are other benefits that come with a new mac. If your daughter is going to college or university, then you can get an education discount worth roughly around 100$ off. You also get a free ipod touch. So if she's attending post-secondary education, go with a new one. If not, refurbished will be great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 MBP | 15" 2.4 GHz i5, 4GB
Blackmac's point are very valid. You can get a price discount if you (in this case, your daughter) is a student and the free iPT could be a big kicker for some people.

A few things to know about the refurbed machines, though. Many times they're essentially new. As many here would tell you, it's often a machine that was used very lightly then returned for a variety of reasons (though don't think technical - they do thorough checking on their refurbs to make sure they're in proper condition). They come with a good warranty, you can still purchase Apple Care if you wish (or SquareTrade if you'd rather), and come with all of the proper packaging. In addition, you aren't necessarily missing out on the latest and greatest. For example, the newest MBP models have been available refurbished, though in limited quantities, for about a month now. I believe they've been on the market around 3 or 4 months in total? So you don't necessarily have to be too far behind in technology. OTOH, if you go back to the previous model, you get a greater discount :)

Hope you're happy with whatever you do. I'm buying my first refurb, actually, convinced by reading many stories here and talking with some friends. And in a way, I'm selling my current computer "refurbished" to someone I know - just cleaning it up myself, etc. When well taken care of, 'old' technology really isn't so bad. And Apple ensures that the computers they sell refurbished are in top condition.

Good luck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I look at it as getting a computer with all the problems fixed, instead of getting a new without knowing what's going to be wrong :)

And that is a great way to look at it :)

Reaction score
I usually buy from MacConnection.com... You can get last year's model, brand new, at substantial savings. Plus you won't have to pay taxes upfront (which can be significant on a $2000 machine), but rather claim the system when you file at year-end. If you buy from the Apple Store, you're on the hot seat right away.

To the direct question about refurbs: I've never heard anybody complain about them, but I don't like the idea of buying somebody else's lemon.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.