Which Mac book

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac G5(Mine) and Wife's Imac intel,(new)
I/we need a new computer, lady wants a laptop, we, I should say she is a mac person, I'm a new switcher, so looking at the Mac book pro, 13 inch screen.
Base model 2.44 Ghz is exactly the same as the next step up with the 2.66 ghz chip.
Question the cost is around 300 dollars for the faster chip is it worth it or truly needed?
We do movies etc, but we did this with a old G5 Imac with out any problems so opinions needed. It will also be our travel computer.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Going from 2.44 to 2.66ghz you probably won't notice. More important would be if the 2.66ghz laptop had better graphics hardware. Then that would make getting the 2.66 more worth it.

HTH,

- Nick

C

chas_m

It's not exactly the same -- the 2.66GHz also comes with a 320GB drive instead of a 250GB drive.

So is a faster processor *and* a larger HD worth an extra $300? IMHO, no.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 MBP | 15" 2.4 GHz i5, 4GB
It's not exactly the same -- the 2.66GHz also comes with a 320GB drive instead of a 250GB drive.

So is a faster processor *and* a larger HD worth an extra $300? IMHO, no.

Yep, agree with this (and the previous post). Also note that if you did need the extra HD space, you can upgrade it on the base model to 320 for only $50. And you can double your space up to 500GBs for $150.

EDIT: Also, just a recommendation. If you're looking at the base MBP, I think it's worth considering the plain-ole' MB line. It depends upon what in totality you do with the machine, and how much value you put in the casing, but I think for many it's a better value.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.