General Questions on Running Various DOOM Games

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac, 3.6 Intel i5 w/ 4MB L3 cache, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 5670 ---- 16 GB iPad w/ 3G
Ok, so Im a die-hard Doom nut; always have been and always will be. Ive had Doom games on literally every computer Ive ever set my fingers on, and even carry around PrBoom on my jump drive to run on other computers. Now that Im about to switch to macs here within the month, Im researching further and getting questions about running Doom games on these Macs

1. Ive looked forward to finally owning Doom 3 for some time now, but Ive read problems with it running on Snow Leopard; something about it being designed only for Tiger. Is there like a quick fix or patch for this, or how are people getting around this.... it seems the answer isnt widely known. Many people apparently just get blank screens and the such when they install it.

2. I (of course) own the triple disc Doom Collector's Edition (released just before Doom 3) and even through online research cant really seen to figure out how to run this on Mac without having PrBoom as the launcher...... cant I somehow install it just as I would with Windows being Macs now have Intel processors?

So what do I need to do in order to run at least Doom II (my fave :D) and Doom 3 on OSX Snow Leopard?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Can't be of much help with Doom for the Mac or Doom 3 (Mac). Since my machine is setup to dual boot to Windows 7, I just boot to Win 7 and run Doomsday from there and load my WADS into JDoom. Works great.

From what I've read in some of the forums, Doom for the Mac does not run well but I can't speak from experience. You'll just have to experiment for yourself.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
 Macbook Pro 13" 2.26Ghz C2D; 8Gb; 500Gb 7200; Nvidia 9400M, Apple TV 160 GB, iPod Nano, i
I have downloaded and run the Doom 3 demo on Snow Leopard and that ran fine without any problems. I'm running OS X version 10.6.4. However I was a bit disappointed with it though as it did not run as smooth or look as good as I had hoped. I have a Macbook Pro, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.26Ghz, Nvidia 9400 and it did not run as good as my Sony Vaio running Windows 7 64 bit Intel Core 2 Duo 2Ghz, Nvidia 8400. I don't know whether Snow Leopard hampered the experience and thats why it did not run as well but I doubt it. Games generally don't run as well under OS X as they do under Windows 7, with comparable spec machines so that was perhaps the reason.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Doom I and Doom II both seem to run just fine for me on 10.6.4 using PRBoom-Plus, Doom Legacy or the Doomsday Engine (the latter of which really "freshens up" the old graphics!).

That's interesting. I haven't visited the Doomsday site in a dog's age which is why I didn't know they had a Mac beta for download. When I get some spare time this weekend I may download it and see how well it runs some of my WAD collection. Thanks for the link.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.