Using a Mac as a wireless hub.

Reaction score
So I have created a network to use my iMac as a wireless hub to send interent to two different MacBooks. Both of the laptops are registering the network, and claim to be fully connected, but I can't get them to actually use the internet. One of them connected for a few minutes, and then slowed down, and then just stopped. The other one has never connected. I'm just wondering if anyone has any ideas? Thanks.

C

chas_m

There's a couple of things to remember about using the Mac as a wireless hub.

1. The effective range is quite short compared to a dedicated device like a real wireless router.

2. You have to change the energy settings of the Mac to prevent ANY sort of sleep or spindown. If you're going to use the Mac as a hub, it has to be on and ACTIVE for other machines to use it.

The "Macs can share the internet with other machines" option was really designed for two purposes:
a. Temporarily giving other machines access
b. Used in closed quarters like a dorm room

If you want to have this be a permanent arrangement, I'd strongly recommend buying a real wireless router. They are quite surprisingly cheap (though Apple's own models are the best I find).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.