Router for new macpro

Reaction score
I am getting a macpro and currently have a dlink 625 router. It works ok but doesn't have much signal strength. What has been your experience for a good router w Mac and wireless printer? Ty

C

chas_m

If you want the best router on the market, that would be Apple. They're not cheap but they are pretty awesome.

Otherwise, any brand of router will do.

OP
C
Reaction score
I have samsung tbs/ blue rays. R there any issues with the apple router connecting to those?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I am getting a macpro and currently have a dlink 625 router. It works ok but doesn't have much signal strength. What has been your experience for a good router w Mac and wireless printer? Ty

In my experience, signal strength issues aren't really a function of the router itself as much as they are related to the environment.

Lots of devices run on the 2.4GHz spectrum or interfere with them.

Some things to try:

1. Place the router as high up and as central to your home as possible. The worst place for a router is in a basement if your computers are used on the first and second floors. Also, a central location is critical as you don't want to project the signal outward, away from your home.

2. Keep the router far, far away from microwave ovens, cordless phone bases, baby monitors and any other wireless device.

3. Scan for other wireless networks in your area using a tool like AirRadar. It should show you the channels those networks are running on. Adjust your channel to something different from the other networks. If it's only one or two, try to make it exactly opposite (for example, if the others are using 11, use 1 and vice versa).

If you still want a new router, I'd recommend the D-Link DIR-655. Apple makes decent routers, but they're pricey, functionally limited and don't have the best antennas.

Reaction score
still heretic

I don't know how computer savy you are, but flashing the firmware on a router can allow you to remove software restrictions on bandwidth put in place by the company. As far as i know, it hasn't been judged illegal, but it will void your warranty.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.