• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Who's Smarter: Apple Genius or Best Buy Geek?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Who?s smarter: Apple Genius or Best Buy Geek? - Technology & science - Tech and gadgets - msnbc.com

Geniuses ultimately outpoint geeks
The overall winner: Geniuses

The final score in my tests was Geniuses 3, Geeks 1, with 3 ties. For the kind of over-the-counter troubleshooting advice my test questions sought, all of the Geniuses and Geeks I consulted did quite well. Still, overall, the Geniuses were a bit more helpful, and the advice they offered was more specific and result-oriented. I did have to ignore the too-slick atmosphere of the Apple store, but braving that environment can be worth the free support, and all of the Geniuses I spoke to were friendly.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Did you read the comments below the article? One guy said the reason Apple geniuses were better versed and trained is that they were paid more than the Best Buy geeks. I thought (maybe mistakenly) that they were both paid around the minimum wage and were given salary increases over time - according to their abilities.

Overall I thought the questions presented to both were very good. However, my personal experience with both geniuses and geeks (I may be biased) is that the geniuses I spoke with were much better informed than the geeks. On several occasions I've had geeks try to "snow" me with double talk.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15"MBP 2.66, 750GB 7200RPM HD, 8GB RAM; iPhone4S 64GB; 32GB iPad, White, AT&T.
That's a trick question....Neither! LOL!!!!! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 Macbook Pro 2.26, 160gb HD, 2gb RAM, OSX 10.6; Emac 1.42ghz 80gb HD 2gb RAM OSX 10.5
When I was doing my research into going to work for one of them for a little side money (did neither; opened my own repair shop), as I recall they both got paid fairly similarly in the $15.00/hr range to start. Not bad really. Not gonna make more than about 16 or 17 unless your A+ certified, though.

Reaction score
My Dad bought my MacBook at Best Buy and the sales person told him that he needed to buy iLife because a Mac "doesn't come pre-installed with it".

Ha..yeah..right.

Geniuses know far more.

C

chas_m

It can obviously vary by the person (there's a Geek Squad guy up here in Victoria who's *extremely* well-versed on the Mac), but overall the Geniuses are always going to win this one.

First of all, it's not actually easy to become an Apple Genius. Second, they get more/better training. Third, in metropolitan areas (ie the big cities) they definitely get paid more (and along with that comes higher expectations).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.5, 6gb ram, 500gb hard drive. 2010 13" MacBook Air 1.86 C2D, 4gb ram, 128gb HD.
It can obviously vary by the person (there's a Geek Squad guy up here in Victoria who's *extremely* well-versed on the Mac), but overall the Geniuses are always going to win this one.

First of all, it's not actually easy to become an Apple Genius. Second, they get more/better training. Third, in metropolitan areas (ie the big cities) they definitely get paid more (and along with that comes higher expectations).

Completely agree with this statement. I had a huge problem with my old MacBook (GF spilled a glass of water on it, but I was quick enough to tip the laptop over and get almost all of the water off before getting to the internal components), and the genius I worked with spent a good 2 hours helping me. Luckily, the water damage was minimal and didn't have to get anything replaced. He laughed and said he's spilled stuff on his own computer and has seen much worse happen to other computers that he's worked on.

I wanted to become a Genius as a sidejob while I was in school until I found out how many hoops I'd have to jump through to do it. While it would've been a great experience IMO I just didn't have the energy or time to do it while finishing grad. school.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.