Inheriting a 800mhz 17" imac G4, suggestions?

Reaction score
I'm fairly new to mac culture, I had been a linux user for 10 years. I bought my first MBP 3 months ago, and I'm in love.

I'm inheriting a 17" 800mhz G4 imac (iLamp). I'm really psyched, i always thought it was a cool design. Realistically I doubt I'd use it as an every day machine, I realize the PPC architecture is pretty limiting. I think i'd like to use it mostly for casual media (hulu would be nice but i know flash on 800mhz ppc is out of the question).

I do have a couple ideas,

1) Use it to remote desktop to my MBP, this way I'd have a 17" desktop version of my laptop while it charges across the room. Though I'm not sure if this is possible, or the best way to do it.

2) tear out the guts and shove in a mac mini, though after reading other people's threads I figure it's probably too much work because of the LCD.

3) tear out the guts and shove in an N64. Really not likely, but man would it be awesome.

Clearly I need guidance from some mac gurus. I'm really curious about stuff like installing bluetooth (so I can use a modern wireless keyboard and mouse and stick to the clean aesthetic). I'm also interested in anyones experience with remote desktop. Anyone have any other suggestions to breath new life into this thing?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I do have a couple ideas,

1) Use it to remote desktop to my MBP, this way I'd have a 17" desktop version of my laptop while it charges across the room. Though I'm not sure if this is possible, or the best way to do it.

2) tear out the guts and shove in a mac mini, though after reading other people's threads I figure it's probably too much work because of the LCD.

3) tear out the guts and shove in an N64. Really not likely, but man would it be awesome.

Clearly I need guidance from some mac gurus. I'm really curious about stuff like installing bluetooth (so I can use a modern wireless keyboard and mouse and stick to the clean aesthetic). I'm also interested in anyones experience with remote desktop. Anyone have any other suggestions to breath new life into this thing?

I would prefer option #1. If this iMac G4 is working in it's original condition, then don't destroy it. If it was not working, and cost too much to repair...then I would say try #2 or #3.

As far as bluetooth. All you need is a wireless mouse & keyboard that uses one of those USB pods/dongle...and you're good to go.

In terms of what this computer is good for:

- basic internet surfing (no You-Tube)
- MS Office work
- internet radio
- older games (vintage to the computer)

Hope this helps,

- Nick

Reaction score
If you need something cool to use at a business front desk,keep appointments do mailing list,print letters ,sales invoices...the "lamp shade" iMac is for you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.