iTunes 4.9

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
I just installed iTunes 4.9 and I have found that it is extremely slow on my powerbook, to the point where it is almost unusable. I am repairing disk permissions, running some cron scripts, and will zap my pram to see if that fixes it. Otherwise, I want to go back to 4.8.

How would I go back to 4.8 if I wanted? Is there somewhere I can download it from?

Has anyone else had problems with it?

OP
rs2sensen
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
I took a look at iTunes in the activity monitor, it uses 85% of my CPU when I'm scrolling through music! Permissions and chron didn't fix it...

OP
rs2sensen
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alright, after some testing. It appears like the problem is with the two finger scroll on my Powerbook.

It only doesn't work when scrolling through my entire library, which is abt. 1400 songs. I think it's just the large number. There were no problems in 4.8, but I guess 4.9 must have changed something... However, regular scrolling with a mouse, or by clicking and pulling at the right bar still works. So it's rather odd...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
That is odd... I'm not having any trouble like that with 4.9 on my PB... And I have around 1600 in my playlist... However I am having trouble getting any of the podcasts to play... I'm getting a "This computer is not Authorized" deal on the iTunes new music podcast.

OP
rs2sensen
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I updated to Tiger today (I drove a whole 2.5 hours to go to an Apple Store!). The scrolling in iTunes now works perfectly.

C

code777

2.5HRS!? wow, dedication! i guess i should tell myself i'm lucky to have one 15mins away.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
It's about 25 miles to one for me.... of course factor in DFW traffic and that is about a 3 hour road trip.... :eek:neye:

Enjoy Tiger!

OP
rs2sensen
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
code777 said:
2.5HRS!? wow, dedication! i guess i should tell myself i'm lucky to have one 15mins away.
lol, thanks. Yeah, it was about 5:15PM and I wanted to get out of the house. I had been looking on the Apple website and thought I'd see what Apple Stores WI has. Normally, I live in MI and the nearest store is about a 3.5 hour drive. I saw the one in Milwaukee and decided I would go with the intent to either purchase Tiger, or an iPod Mini. When I got there, the salesperson informed me that I could buy Tiger on a student discount on the Apple website. I hadn't recalled that being available to High Schoolers so I bought there anyways, paying 2x the amount he said I would pay on the website. I drove home, installed Tiger, and went to bed at about 1:00am. Round trip time to the Apple Store, about 5.5 hours. Total miles: 310! Total Gas: Exactly one tank (I have about half a gallon left that will get me to the gas station, I hope!).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Wow, but at least it puts some of that magic back into going shopping right?

I remember going into town as a kid with a fistfull of money and buying something big and then spending all the change on some crap - just so it was "worth it".

Hope you enjoy tiger!

H

Harryc

Aptmunich said:
Wow, but at least it puts some of that magic back into going shopping right?

I remember going into town as a kid with a fistfull of money and buying something big and then spending all the change on some crap - just so it was "worth it".

Hope you enjoy tiger!
Sigh...yeah it's just not the same these days. I was sitting at my computer when I ordered Tiger and was seated in the same position when it arrived ....LOL.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.