Which is Better? Adium or iChat?

Reaction score
I know that through a Jabber account you can do things with it in iChat (such as chat on other IM accounts not normally supported by iChat), but through Adium it is far easier to use.

So which is the better one?

And how does one sign up for a Jabber account?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Not normally a Jabber user but I think this will get you started http://register.jabber.org/

I used Adium for a long time and in fact used it before iChst. At the time the folks I contacted regularly were using ICQ. I preferred Adium to the ICQ client that was available then. Lately I have pretty much stuck with iChat since the folks I contact regularly either have iChat or AIM accounts. If you have friends on a variety of services Adium isn't a bad way to go otherwise I prefer iChat.

OP
C
Reaction score
Hmmm...

I wholly wish Apple would include more than just AIM, GoogleTalk and its standard supported clients (MobileMe and Mac.com).

I'll try Jabber before I decide to use Adium...

So I signed up for Jabber.

Figured out how to use facebook chat within iChat (thank goodness for Jabber)...

So next I'll use Adium..

Feel free to move this thread to OSX-Software if at all necessary.

C

chas_m

Each have advantages.

Adium's big advantage is its flexibility; you can at least IM with just about any network out there, which is great.

iChat's big advantage is either single-or-multi-party audio-or-video chatting that works very well; I've yet to see anything (even Skype) that approaches it in quality. Throw in iChat theatre and screen sharing and its pretty compelling.

Luckily, nobody has to choose. You can have both Adium and iChat (and Skype for that matter) around, and use each according to its strengths.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I prefer iChat if I'm only using AIM which is most of the time.

Adium is good if you want to use multiple IM accounts on a regular basis. Adium's preferences, etc are a bit scattered still and confusing, especially for people just needing a single client.

I will always recommend the iChat, Microsoft Messenger, or Yahoo Messenger over Adium to people who are primarily looking to chat with just one service.

Reaction score
I can't get web cam to work with iChat, any ideas?

I have Adium but don't want to go to a web page to use web cam, want an integrated one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I do like the fact that I can do a 3way video chat with iChat not sure what other app would allow that but when you got friends in different cities its nice.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Depends what your needs are. If you don't need video chat then Adium is for you. I use Skype for my voice calls, and video chatting. For regular messaging I have my iPhone and Adium.

Plus I really like the customization of Adium.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

I have Adium but don't want to go to a web page to use web cam, want an integrated one.

Which webcam, OS version, and iChat version?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I tried iChat with my mum interstate, and for some reason couldn't get sound (both ways), and gave up, as to not frustrate my mum with tech troubleshooting, and stuck with skype.
Even though most my family and friends have Macs, I'm the only one who seems to enjoy working through and getting past anything that isn't working right, so one of these days, I will hound someone here to test it out, and troubleshoot through it :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I use adium...so simple a rock could use it!

C

chas_m

Are we talking about the built-in webcam in most Macs, or a third-party one?

If the latter, you'll have to check with the manufacturer to see if they support using iChat with it. There are third-party drivers that should make it function, but I've not tested any of those.

If we're talking about the built-in iSight webcam on most Macs:

a. If you have the software firewall turned on, turn it off. You don't need it anyway, you're on a Mac.

b. You'll probably need to open ports on your hardware firewall to allow iChat to make video connections (this may also be relevant for third-party webcams as well).

This technical note will probably answer all questions relating to ports.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 1.8ghz G5 5.5gb RAM
Adium supports a bunch of chat protocols....so what? It's crippled; no vid chat, no file transfer. If I can't chat with them on iChat I don't chat with them. Just found out I can use iChat for my FB chat (jabber protocol). That's 99% of the people I want to talk to who aren't on my work jabber system.
I find iChat beautifully simple and elegant, especially now with tabbed chats (old news I know)

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Adium supports a bunch of chat protocols....so what? It's crippled; no vid chat, no file transfer. If I can't chat with them on iChat I don't chat with them. Just found out I can use iChat for my FB chat (jabber protocol). That's 99% of the people I want to talk to who aren't on my work jabber system.
I find iChat beautifully simple and elegant, especially now with tabbed chats (old news I know)

Who said they didn't have file transferring? I use it all the time. >_>" I rather have one application that can connect to multiple chat protocols than using multiple chat applications at one time. For one that is a lot of clutter, and secondly it's going to slow down the computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 1.8ghz G5 5.5gb RAM
Every time I chat with someone and try to send them a file and it fails they say "I'm on Adium, hold on, I'll open iChat"

Reaction score
provelar

Hi guys! I was wondering if I can invite someone on video chat using windows live or skype on Adium or iChat.. pls reply.. ur answer will be helpful on which chat service ill use.. thanks alot..

C

chas_m

Hi guys! I was wondering if I can invite someone on video chat using windows live or skype on Adium or iChat.. pls reply.. ur answer will be helpful on which chat service ill use.. thanks alot..

Windows live: no
Adium: no
iChat: yes

Basically, unless you have a very specific need to chat with people who are NOT on Facebook, NOT on AIM and NOT on MobileMe, use either iChat (which works with all of those services) or Skype (which only uses its own service, but a lot of PC people have the good sense to use it).

People who refuse to get on one of those two services (AIM or Skype) are probably not worth talking to, but if you must -- use Adium.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have done a few video conferences with a PC using buddy. I used iChat he used AIm. Worked quite nicely. I keep Skype on my system because he prefers it over AIM otherwise I could be iChat only.

Reaction score
Are we talking about the built-in webcam in most Macs, or a third-party one?

If the latter, you'll have to check with the manufacturer to see if they support using iChat with it. There are third-party drivers that should make it function, but I've not tested any of those.

If we're talking about the built-in iSight webcam on most Macs:

a. If you have the software firewall turned on, turn it off. You don't need it anyway, you're on a Mac.

b. You'll probably need to open ports on your hardware firewall to allow iChat to make video connections (this may also be relevant for third-party webcams as well).

This technical note will probably answer all questions relating to ports.

I'm referring to the built in one. I've found that if I close iChat once system running and then reopen the video works :Confused:

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I am late to this thread but wanted to state what I use.

I really prefer iChat overall for use with AIM and Google Talk. I love the interface. Also I love the fact iChat does Video Chat very well.

I use Adium for a few friends on ICQ, MSN and Yahoo. One family member and I often do more than just basic chat using Yahoo. With her I use Yahoo Messenger so we can video chat. Otherwise I use iChat and Adium depending on what chat service I am using.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.