Is this good advice?

Reaction score
I have a new MacBook Pro 2.66GHz system which recently had the harddrive fail for unknown reasons. I got a new one put in by Mac, and a friend suggested this to me:

I also suggest you turn off Hybrid Sleep to prevent your HD from blowing up in the future. I had that problem. When you shut the lid to put it to sleep, it doesn't sleep automatically - it saves the contents of ram to the hard disk. This is so if the battery runs out while it's sleeping it can resume from the information saved on the hard disk. The downside is that the hd is still spinning for a good 30-45 seconds after you shut the lid.

You can disable that sleep mode by opening up Terminal.app (Which is in Applications->Utilities) and typing

sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0

in, and entering your password when prompted.

What do the Mac buffs here think of this idea? Worth undertaking?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I think you should never listen to this "so called friend" regarding your Mac!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There is a small free utility which does the same thing. It's called "Smartsleep" - what it does is allow you to specify whether or not to use hibernate mode. Makes for faster sleep or suspend mode. Also quicker shutdowns and reboot.

Stay out of the terminal if possible. Unlike the MS Dos command line, terminal is unforgiving if you make a mistake.

Regards.

C

chas_m

Simply put, your friend's advice is wrong. The concepts he discusses are correct but his facts don't lead to his conclusions.

The reason your hard drive failed is because all hard drives fail at some point. They are like lightbulbs in this regard -- they SHOULD last quite a while, but COULD fail at any moment. It has absolutely nothing to do with sleep states.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.