I'm new, should I buy from best-buy?

Reaction score
I am new and have never used a Mac until I tried an iMac out at best-buy a few days ago. I like it a lot. I thought it was easy to use and I was ready to buy just after a few minutes. My wife on the other hand does not want to switch because she says so much "software" won't run on it. That's a different story.

I basically want to upgrade the pc I currently have which is 9 years old. I want to edit movies for the most part. I like to shoot a lot of family and racing videos.

So my question is this, will the 27", 2 core processor, 4 GB memory, 1 TB hard drive work good for me or should I order a special one? I don't want to buy more if I don't need it, so this is why I ask if this machine would be a good choice for video and photo editing? I am not into games at all, just video for the most part.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
If you can get to an Apple Store, that would be preferable to getting information from a Best Buy employee. Apple's staff is more qualified to help you with what you need. If you have to get it from Best Buy, just make sure you don't get talked into anything else, except maybe Apple Care. In other words, don't let them hustle you and you'll be fine.

I think the iMac you looked out what do what you need it to do. As for software that won't run on it, what are some examples. Working with Microsoft Office files is possible on a Mac if that's what your wife means, and there is usually a Mac equivalent to any Windows software that, in my opinion, are often of better quality.

If you really need Windows to run some program, you can always run Windows on your Mac too, which is pretty easy to do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Not that I do photo and video editing, but I think you'd be fine with those specs. Just wanted to comment on the software "story". Sure, there are loads of programs for Windows that won't run on the Mac OS. But, you can run Windows on a Mac and therefore all that software! Besides, most software you'll want will have a Mac counterpart anyway. Unless you think you need 24 different developers' versions of the same kind of program, it's not an issue.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Nothing wrong with purchasing from Best Buy. Actually, they have a pretty good black tie warranty which covers more than Apple care. However, as you're getting an iMac, I do not recommend buying a black tie warranty. For notebooks, it's a good purchase but not for desktops. Apple care only.

And as you were advised, do not let the Geek Squad talk you into any upgrades as you can do those yourself at a lesser cost. Anyway, about the only thing you can upgrade easily is the memory. Software is plentiful for the Mac. Your wife will love it - and you for buying her one. O:)

Regards.

C

chas_m

The only thing I'd buy from Worst Buy is a pair of running shoes so I could get away from that rip-off factory as fast as possible.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
How can it be a rip-off when my MBP cost just as much there as at the Apple Store, and their protection plan covers more than Apple Care?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't think chas_m is referring to the products that Best Buy sells.

Regards.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks guys!

I would love to go to an Apple store and talk with the associates, but I am 3-4 hrs. away from one. We only have best-buy and that is where I have been going to take the iMac for a test drive. Nobody I know owns one, but a few like them.

I went back to best-buy to try out the imovie to find out if it would do a lot of stuff that I wanted to do, this way I would know if I was going to have to buy more software like final cut studio. I really like imovie vs. some of the video editing software I have on my PC. So this is a big plus. Anybody like or dislike imovie?

Then I was back home and talking with the wife trying to figure out her reasons for not wanting to switch. She says it’s mainly because of pictures. She thinks the mac will not recognize them. I basically told her that no converting is necessary for uploading photos, I even told her how easy iphoto was to use for editing the photos. I just need to take her up there for her to try it out herself.

Now one more question, I was thinking of using the iMac to download movies as well either from a DVD or itunes. What upgrades should I look at adding to the iMac if I wanted to watch them on the mac? Video card, 4 core processor, memory, etc? I would hope the machine at best buy would be more than sufficient for what I will use it for, but I just want your opinions.

Thanks again!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
How can it be a rip-off when my MBP cost just as much there as at the Apple Store, and their protection plan covers more than Apple Care?

I would say it's not so much a rip-off from the sense of the amount you spend.

It's a rip-off to purchase from Best Buy because:

• You support a company whose purpose in life is to employee obnoxious, rude, ignorant teenagers as their sole customer service staff
  • You give money to a company who excels in giving out misinformation on the products it sells because of the first point
  • You tacitly are giving them approval of their Geek Squad electronics stupidity service by giving them money.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Weird, I've never had any of those problems at my local Best Buy. But then I shop differently from most people. I find my own information about what I need online so I know exactly what to ask for and what to turn down. I don't even give them a chance to be rude or hustle me into buying anything else.

If you have no choice but to go to Best Buy and you're a smart shopper, there's absolutely no reason to pick up a MBP there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" (spring 2010), iPhone 4 16gb
I bought mine from best buy because I needed to use their 18 months interest free and already had a credit card open there. As well as the accidental handling, spill insurance which I desperately need because I can be a klutz. Apple stores are nicer and well informed, I went their to ask questions before I bought, but they dont offer 18 interest free on $999 and up.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
However, Apple does have some nice employee purchasing programs which can save you $$ on hardware and Apple care. They also have educational discounts. And Apple has boosted their sales and stock at the military exchange systems (Army Air Force and Navy exchanges).

Apple also offers deferred credit and payments on purchases. Check with the on line store for credit information.

Regards.

C

chas_m

Thanks guys!

I would love to go to an Apple store and talk with the associates, but I am 3-4 hrs. away from one.

Unless you really live out in the boonies, there is probably an independent Apple dealer somewhere closer to you. I'm not saying DON'T buy the iMac from Best Buy, I'm saying investigate your options.

Anybody like or dislike imovie?

iMovie will never be mistaken for a professional editing suite, but actually I like it a lot for doing short videos. The "steadicam" effect, the colour and video correction and cropping, the speed of reviewing footage and editing ... it's actually got a lot going for it even though its clearly aimed at casual and YouTube video people.

She says it’s mainly because of pictures. She thinks the mac will not recognize them.

Simply put, she's wrong. JPGs are JPGs. TIFs are TIFs, etc. Pictures, in short, are not an issue on either platform.

Now one more question, I was thinking of using the iMac to download movies as well either from a DVD or itunes. What upgrades should I look at adding to the iMac if I wanted to watch them on the mac?

Nothing really. First of all, an iMac doesn't have an upgradeable video card, and second the video card is very good (way more than what's needed to watch videos). More RAM is always nice but its not necessary for just playing SD or HD videos.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's amazing that someone would think that a Mac would not be able to handle photo files. I thought she was going to mention Word documents or something like that, but photos? Once she tries iPhoto and realizes that a Mac can handle just about any kind of file, she'll be convinced I'm sure.

OP
C
Reaction score
Yeah, I couldn't believe she was worried about the photos either. She does a lot of word and Excel documents, but I think she knows the mac can handle those documents with no issues. I believe she just wants to find a reason not to switch. I feel like I now have her convinced that the iMAC is an excellent machine and will work perfect for us at home. She mentioned going to check it out when we get back from vacation in Louisiana next week, so hopefully my next post will be off of my new iMAC. I believe from the response I have been getting that the base 27" machine at best buy should be a great machine for us.

Thanks for the advice guys.

C

chas_m

My advice would be to buy her an iPad. She can still use the iMac for photo editing (and Word/Excel type activities with either MS Office for Mac or iWork or even OpenOffice), but like most people she'll discover that 90+% of the time spent on a computer isn't really for any of that stuff and more for what I call "leisure time" computing (not just games, but casual or recreational surfing, email, IMing, ebook reading, movies/videos, music etc).

OP
C
Reaction score
I already have an iPad, but she doesn't like it. She says she doesn't like the touch screen because of her fingernails. Therefore she has to use the palm of her fingers. I was thinking of buying the keyboard with the dock but that still doesn't fix all the problems. She would need a mouse as well. Besides, she likes to Skype with friends on the other side or the world. So, hopefully the 2nd gen. iPad will have a camera. Until then, she can still use her laptop or her tablet pc for her leisure time.

Come to think of it, it is her fault I want to switch to Mac. She bought me my first itouch last year and my iPad back in May. She is the reason I have grown to like apple, so she owes it to me to make my computing arsenal complete. I might not want to push to hard though, I think I have her convinced that the iMac will be a great for our needs.

Later!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.