USB Ethernet connection

Reaction score
Hi all,

My built-in ethernet port stopped working awhile ago, and my new place doesn't allow routers so I got an Apple USB Ethernet adapter. It worked right out of the box the first time configured to "Using DHCP," but now it's giving me trouble.

It will say "cable unplugged" unless I switch to "Using DHCP with manual address." I don't know what to do put in the "IP Address" field so it self- assigns one, but then the internet will not work. It says "Status: Connected. USB Ethernet has a self-assigned IP address and may not be able to connect."

So... what do I put in that field? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Generally you need both an IP address and a dns server for everything to work. You can try pointing to Google's servers - 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

Your IP address is built off of your routers LAN setting - and it varies from router to router. sometimes it 192.168.0.xxx sometimes 192.168.1.xxx - apple likes 10.0.1.xxx - you can set xxx in the range from 0 to 254 as long as it doesn't interfere with DHCP.

That being said - when you get a self assigned IP and you have DHCP it means it really didn't connect to the network. Putting in manual values probably won't help. Are you sure you are pointing to the proper ethernet card?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.