Mac user to be....converting music question

Reaction score
Hello all, ive been a member here for a while now, but haven't posted

anyways...after long consideration and many frustrations with windows, i have decided that i am going to be buying a mac in the near future. Ive worked with them in school so i already know the basics of one and have fallen in love with them.

I only have one problem...I have a collection of about 3,000 songs...most of which are in .wma form..i know that .wma is not mac compatible so my question is what would be the quickest and cheapest (preferably free but ill spend some money if needed) to convert my songs to MP3?

Thanks in advance :)

Reaction score
Mac will play wma if you install flip4mac... Dbpoweramp is the best music converter I have ever used. It will turn them into whatever type audio file you would like.

C

chas_m

The above answer is partially incorrect.

Macs won't play DRM'd WMAs no matter what you do, install, etc. They also can't be converted very easily.

If the songs are not DRM'd, then of course one could use a Windows tool to convert them to AAC or MP3 before transferring them, or you could burn the songs to a music CD and re-import them (this will lose all the "tags and info" attached to the songs, though), and there's also a Mac tool called Switch (free for non-commerical use) which does a nice job of converting WMA to MP3. There's also EasyWMA ($10) which I've not used but gets excellent reviews.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
+1 for Easy WMA . I had issues with Switch and Flip 4 Mac when I went to Snow Leopard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
The Windows version of iTunes will convert and import WMAs in one step.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.