• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Gateway 7405gx

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0ghz 15" Core Duo MBP
AMD Mobile Athlon 64 3200+, ATI Radeon Mobility 9600, 512mb of RAM, 80gb 4200rpm harddrive, 8x dvd+rw burner..

I want a powerbook so bad, but pricing this thing has been difficult. After going through **** with gateway tech support, I've decided it's not worth my time anymore. I'm fed up with windows, and unless I'm willing to risk trashing my entire laptop (changing bios..) this laptop has minimal functionality in linux (special button fuctions, wireless -> ndiswrapper... it's a great concept but come on... broadcom's pcbased chipsets will NEVER support linux)

I had the screen top of the screen and hinges replaced, so the only cosmetic issues are a missing foot on the battery (courtesy of arima's service department) and a little wear on the stickers on the bottom of the unit from amd's apparently non-existant heating issues.

So how much? :D
I spent $1349 last october (not including a rip off bestbuy coverage plan.)

H

Harryc

20% off as soon as you walk out the door. 25% off if it shows some wear. You may also want to follow this auction, unless that's also your ID on EBay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=80209&item=6780899543&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Edit: This is off topic, but if you decide to sell it on EBay, here's a couple of words of advice from someone who's been there.

1.) Don't take Paypal on any item that is worth more than an amount that would hurt you to be without for a month or 2. The buyer protection plan there can and will freeze the amount paid if the buyer complains for ANY reason.

2.) If you take Money Orders, take it to a bank and cash it before you ship the item. There are lots of theives out there passing bad money orders, particularly on laptops.

Reaction score
I still did know that GW still made pc's. Did they go out of business once already?

OP
mpeters13
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0ghz 15" Core Duo MBP
Thank you. Not sure. They merged with emachines and are still mucking things up. Dangit, if our stupid bestbuy sold apple products, (it has to be like the only one in the world that doesn't) I wouldn't be stuck with this piece of junk. Meh. Serves me right for not waiting.

Thanks for the tips btw guys. Appreciated.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.