Macbook pro gone dead

Reaction score
oh dear, i'm so disappointed. Took delivery of my MBP on 11th of June and now it's gone dead. Only a green light on the power cable. I had the speed boosted to 7200 and wonder did I make a big mistake. What should I do - get on the phone or make an appointment at a shop. New user freak out going on here. :0(

It ran very very hot btw if that is important.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
Maybe provide more information as to what led to the computer not turning on? What were you doing before it "died", why was it running hot.

If the computer only overheated, then just leave it on the table for a while to let it cool and try turning it on again in maybe 20 minutes.

And yes, it's under warranty so you can take it to the Apple store to have it checked out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
alMB, 2.0C2D, 2GB, 500GB, SD, etc
Details--What model MBP? What OS version? Does it boot at all? What does "speed boosted to 7200" mean (assume something with the hard drive?)? What lead to the problem?--would be particularly helpful to start ;)

Barring those, I'd take it to the nearest Apple Store Genius Bar if possible. Assuming it was a new MBP when you "took delivery," AppleCare should still be active on it.

Reaction score
except, the apple store refused to service my mbp 13" puchased 4/27 without the original hard drive installed, which is long gone to someone on ebay.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I had the speed boosted to 7200 and wonder did I make a big mistake.

It ran very very hot btw if that is important.

What does "speed boosted to 7200" mean

This in particular is what i would like to know !!!!!! Did you put in another HD that was @7200 ??

If not playing around with your machine and you dont know what you are doing is flirting with danger :(
Is like the bloke that used Insomniax and didnt know what it really did, left it on Travelled with it for hours across the world and wonder why at the end of the trip his MB was fried .....
It never ceases to amaze me lol

Cheers

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I think she means that she ordered her MBP with an optional 7200 RPM hard drive.

@Sarah

Your new MBP is still under warranty. Make an appointment with your local Apple store to bring it on in. Let them sort it out for you.

Let us know.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
except, the apple store refused to service my mbp 13" puchased 4/27 without the original hard drive installed, which is long gone to someone on ebay.
I don't believe that this is true.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.