Finder bar

Reaction score
When you open Finder the window pops open and the search function is there. Is there anyway to put that search box up top in my title bar like by my clock?

OP
LogicBox
Reaction score
You know what ignore this I am retarded!
I just saw the magnifie glass up at the top right
and then the keyboard shortcut

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2015 13"MBA 2.2GHz i7, 8GB RAM, OS X 10.11.6
The magnifying glass is a separate program from Finder called, Spotlight and it is more than just a search feature. Read up on it. It is AWESOME! i.e. - type in the name of any application and hit enter. It opens right up for you.
Type in a word, any word. It searches the dictionary for you. Type in a calculation such as 28*450 or sqrt(64). It's a calculator, too...etc, etc.

I use Spotlight in lieu of the Dock.

OP
LogicBox
Reaction score
haha Thanks MacShane. Spotlight thats the name I couldnt think of it.

Hey another question for ya, was there a short cut to roll up the windows? where just the top bar is showing, or did Expose kinda get rid of that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Actually, it's the Dock that kind of makes the "window roll-up" obsolete. I jumped from OS9 to Leopard, so I don't know how long that remained an option. If it still works, I don't miss it!

Actually, the double click that used to roll it up, now sends it to the Dock.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
"Roll up the windows"??? Do you mean the "show desktop" feature? If that's what you're looking for, it's fn+F11 for new Macs and it's a function of Exposé.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
"Roll up the windows"???

Lemme guess; you're under 20 years of age, and your first OS was Cheetah. Did I get that right? :D

The old "roll up" windows feature left the top bar visible. Back in the day, there was no tool bar, just the name of the window appeared. There was no Dock, no Expose. Computers still ran on electricity though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
LOL. Wrong. I'm well over 40, but my first OS was Windows 95. I switched not too long ago hence, my presence here (in the Switcher Hangout).

Reaction score
Spotlight can do so much more than Windows Instant Search. So much more.

I remember back when I was about 12 years old (that was about seven years ago) my middle school had Macintosh machines- notably CRT iMacs and the Performa line as well as a few Power Macs (not the colorful G3- the old beige models) running in the engineering lab. Not a single one ran OS X- it was all OS 9 and 8. (It brought me back to the days of Kindergarten when my elementary school had Macintosh LC 520 with OS 7 and this program called KidPix.) Amazing how far Apple has come. Between Kindergarten and high school, I had always used Windows- didn't know what I was missing LOL. I do remember the "rollup"..and the Display Postscript (which I liked far better than Windows GUI)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I couldn't think of this before....

OS7, and maybe 8 as well, did not have the roll-up feature. You had to get a third-party enhancement called..... Window Shade. Yeah. That was it. ...pretty descriptive of what it did.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
Spotlight is one of my top favorite features on Macs. I use it ALL the time. Without Spotlight and Time Machine, I would be completely lost!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey another question for ya, was there a short cut to roll up the windows? where just the top bar is showing, or did Expose kinda get rid of that?

Follow-up:
Double clicking the "title bar" of a Stickies note window will make it "roll up" and display the first line or so of its content in the formerly blank bar.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.