How do I make this effect in photoshop?

Reaction score
Hi!
I've seen this picture I really like and I want to learn how to do it, but I don't really know what I should google to find the instructions for it. I've tried to figure it out using several layers and moving them too but I don't know how to make them transparent so that haven't worked either.

Here is the pic: lauren. on we heart it / visual bookmark #2857176

Hope someone can help me :)

C

chas_m

I believe that can be accomplished by ingesting a fair number of mushrooms.

C

chas_m

Okay sorry -- I'm a sucker for an easy joke.

I'd try doing a search for "prism filter" or "rainbow filter" adding the word "photoshop" perhaps. I don't myself know precisely how to recreate the effect you're looking for, sorry.

OP
E
Reaction score
Okay sorry -- I'm a sucker for an easy joke.

I'd try doing a search for "prism filter" or "rainbow filter" adding the word "photoshop" perhaps. I don't myself know precisely how to recreate the effect you're looking for, sorry.

hahahahaha :p

Thanks, but it's not the coloreffect i'm looking for, it's how the picture has several moved layers, if you get what I mean..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
You basically answered yourself, it's several moved layers ;)
I don't know how good are your photoshop skills, but all you need to do is duplicate the layer several times and move each layer sideways. You also need to set different opacity for each of the layers to achieve a desirable see-through effect (blend modes might come handy). I would definitely mask some layers to only show certain parts of the image - e.g. only show the hands without overlapping the face. To achieve the rainbow effect, you can just apply a different hue/saturation adjustment to each layer.

So to sum up, look for tutorials describing:
layer management, move tool
opacity+fill (blend modes to go wild)
masking
hue/saturation - or layer adjustments in general

Oh and I almost forgot, the MOST IMPORTANT part is to play around! :D

OP
E
Reaction score
You basically answered yourself, it's several moved layers ;)
I don't know how good are your photoshop skills, but all you need to do is duplicate the layer several times and move each layer sideways. You also need to set different opacity for each of the layers to achieve a desirable see-through effect (blend modes might come handy). I would definitely mask some layers to only show certain parts of the image - e.g. only show the hands without overlapping the face. To achieve the rainbow effect, you can just apply a different hue/saturation adjustment to each layer.

So to sum up, look for tutorials describing:
layer management, move tool
opacity+fill (blend modes to go wild)
masking
hue/saturation - or layer adjustments in general

Oh and I almost forgot, the MOST IMPORTANT part is to play around! :D

Thanks a lot! :) That helped me a bit, but I'm not a pro at photoshop, so I'm having a hard time making the layers transparent. Am I supposed to add a transparency mask? Because when I do that, nothing happens...

OP
E
Reaction score
Thanks a lot! :) That helped me a bit, but I'm not a pro at photoshop, so I'm having a hard time making the layers transparent. Am I supposed to add a transparency mask? Because when I do that, nothing happens...

Oh, wait a minute! I got it now, I just had to hide the background layer so I could see what I was doing! haha. Thank you for the help! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody

You don't need to add a mask to make a layer transparent, masks are used to sort of hide image portions without modifying the actual image. Or to add transparency gradients etc.

To make a layer transparent, just move the Opacity slider in the layers palette.
http://img180.imageshack.us/f/screenshot20100709at151.png/

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.