How to make apps sort by name

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.4GHz 4GB RAM, 32GB iPhone 3GS
OK this is probably a dumb one...

I downloaded Flip4Mac WMV (the app was named WMV). I renamed the file in finder to 'Flip4Mac' not sure why but I didn't like WMV as name because it's not very descriptive.

Even though it's named 'Flip' now in the apps folder, and I have 'sort by name' checked, it's still appearing last in the grid, rather than where the F section is. In the finder windows it appears in order like you'd expect (obviously).

I know this is a dumb issue but I'm curious to why that is! Is it reading some other place to sort where it's still seeing 'WMV' as the name?

Thanks guys! (btw...loving the Mac life so far!!)

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK no idea why...but it's appearing in the correct order now.

I feel like a true newb now...lmao.

Sry for wasting you guys' time!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Ok, did you post the question right after you first renamed the app, then futzed around with the Arrange By options in the Finder Window?

Then you actually used "Flipper" and "whaddya know, Vern" the order changed in the Finder Window!

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually I'm not sure what happened...

I renamed it and checked 'arrange by name' and it didn't seem to work. Then after posting I looked back and the apps were indeed arranged in order...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, late 2012 model, 21"
My guess is that the Finder automatically moved the file to the spot for you. I notice this whenever I change a file name. I'll make the change, hit Enter, and a moment later, the file moves to it's appropriate alphabetical spot in the list.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.