really could use some guru help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch 2012 Air
I have a aluminum mac pro running snow leopard. using the proper connector i hooked up a DVI monitor. i also use apples bluetooth mouse and apples blue tooth keyboard.

im trying to shut the lid and keep the display running but its not working. i close the lid and it goes to sleep. i wiggle mouse and hit keyboard and the screen flashes and turns on to my desktop. it stays on for about 9 seconds then shuts back off.. sigh. it comes on and then just shuts off again. can anyone tell me why. i selected allow blue tooth devices to wake up this device. it wakes up ok it just doesnt stay awake. what settings am i missing. :(

OP
safarisurfer
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch 2012 Air
if someone ever asks this, for future reference the external monitor does not stay on unless the macbook pro is plugged in. if the macbook pro isnt plugged in the monitor will wake up but it will go back to sleep 3-4 seconds later.

so the power cord had come disconnected while playing with the wires that caused it. cheers everyone

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Yeah...I was going to try & help out...but I don't have my "Guru" license yet!;)

Congratulations figuring out the problem...I guess you're the GURU!!!:)

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
One each GURU award -> Nick. You're now a GURU, congratulations! O:)

All kidding aside, I had this happen to me. My large Samsung monitor refused to come on - drove me crazy for awhile until I figured out I had forgot to turn on the power strip. (can't blame that on the cats)

Regards.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.