Switch my parents to macbook?

Reaction score
1st time poster here.

I've never had a mac but am considering switching my parents (70+) to a macbook. I (as well as they) have iPhone's and I will likely be switching to a mac myself when I need a new machine in the next couple of years.

They are not computer literate and currently I get a lot of calls from Florida for tech support on their PC's....viewing pane in outlook has disappeared, start menu mysteriously is on the side of the screen rather than bottom, can't get on the internet, can't find the pictures I downloaded, my keyboard is missing the P, etc.

I know enough to be dangerous with a PC and can fix all of their issues. My question is, since I currently know nothing about macs, is it going to be a problem for them since I can't help them if something comes up (except for finding the P)? My thinking is that less of these issues will come up on a mac so it would be ok. Thoughts?

Also, is Apple tech support good (and included) for these types of issues for a decent amount of time? There is no apple store near them in FL.

Any advice is appreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
1st time poster here.
Welcome to the forum CJ. You have come to the right place for help, answers and questions ... :)

My thinking is that less of these issues will come up on a mac so it would be ok. Thoughts?
Well you are a switcher already, and have the mindset of a Mac user. Yep in essence you probably will get less issues if the parents got a Mac. But in saying that, remember they still are a computer/electrical device, and being so is prone to wear and tear and malfunctions just like any other device ...
Yes its a Mac but they arent super machines, sprinkled in fairy dust .....

Also, is Apple tech support good (and included) for these types of issues for a decent amount of time?
In general and very much most of the time, Tech Support (Geniuses) are really good and know there stuff. If its in warranty, there is no if's, but's or maybe's, if it need changing they will and that goes for parts as well as machine.
There are stories going around in the forum of some members taking there MB or MBP into the geniuses and out of warranty, and with a little sweat talking they have been known to replace parts that they deem should be on there shoulders ....
You get 1 yr warranty on your Machine and free 90 phone Tech Support. If you buy  care though i thinks its 3 yrs extra warranty and the phone Tech Support is for the life of the warranty ...
Not bad IMO :)

Enjoy and hope you buy a machine and join our community :)

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Well, switching OSes always involves some kind of learning curve, or more accurately an UNlearning curve, since many people approach their new Macs like they're Windows machines. You should get a Mac first, get the hang of it, then turn your grandparents onto one. I think Macs are probably WAY easier for older people to use but you will still need to help them out, especially because they're probably stuck in the Windows mindset as well.

Phone support from Apple can be great or it can be lackluster depending on the issue and who you get. But it wouldn't hurt to get AppleCare just for that purpose. Remember, every new Mac comes with 90 free days of customer support... if you want you can extend it later. Or you can have them check out Mac Forums!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I know enough to be dangerous with a PC and can fix all of their issues. My question is, since I currently know nothing about macs, is it going to be a problem for them since I can't help them if something comes up (except for finding the P)? My thinking is that less of these issues will come up on a mac so it would be ok. Thoughts?

I think that those of us that are pretty computer "savvy" (and Macintosh "savvy" as well) at first might say..."Sure...get your parent's a Mac, they're easy to use."

I just got my mother-in-law (66 or 67 years old...I think..;)) a Mac-Mini...and even though she's been using Windows computers for years...she still has had a learning curve with a Macintosh. Her prior computer experience helps...but Mac's have their differences.

I think that the things a computer user needs to have is confidence & the willingness to try new things. If your parents are using an iPhone...they probably have these qualities using new technologies.

So if they get a Mac & you get a Mac (all of you new to Mac's)...who know's maybe your parent's will learn how to use their Mac faster than you...and you'll be calling them on how to use your Mac!;)

- Nick

p.s. Personally I think that Mac's have much fewer "maintenance" issues (meaning you can use them for a really long time before any "housekeeping' things need to be done before performance is effected).

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses.

I saw the 1 to 1, but like I said there is no apple store nearby. And I'm not too concerned about hardware.

I am more concerned about the little software idiosyncrasies that they run into in the various programs they use. It's usually because they have put something down on the keyboard and hit the right combination of keys to screw something up. I then walk through it with them and fix it, which I can do as I go through menus on my machine.

I like the sound of the apple care if they can get 3 years of phone support. That would be a huge benefit for me if they can just call someone else! But $250 seems on the steep side for a $1k macbook. Can you purchase it after the 90 days at the same price?

On a separate issue: They have some Excel & Word files they use. They don't need to manipulate them much, just be able to view them mostly. I assume they will be able to open them on a mac. Should I get them iWork, or have them use OpenOffice? Also, what would be a cheap alternative to Outlook for contacts?

Thanks again!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
alMB, 2.0C2D, 2GB, 500GB, SD, etc
I like the sound of the apple care if they can get 3 years of phone support. That would be a huge benefit for me if they can just call someone else! But $250 seems on the steep side for a $1k macbook. Can you purchase it after the 90 days at the same price?

Yes. Any time after the 90th day, though, you can't purchase AppleCare even if you want to, so be sure to make a decision before then.

On a separate issue: They have some Excel & Word files they use. They don't need to manipulate them much, just be able to view them mostly. I assume they will be able to open them on a mac. Should I get them iWork, or have them use OpenOffice? Also, what would be a cheap alternative to Outlook for contacts?

Personally, I'd get Office for Mac just to be absolutely safe, but OpenOffice would work well, too. If, as you say, they mainly just need to open Office doc, I wouldn't bother spending the extra $70 or so on iWork.

As for contacts, there's always the OS X Address Book ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
$250 seems on the steep side for a $1k macbook. Can you purchase it after the 90 days at the same price?

You can purchase Care up until the last day of the existing warranty on your machine ... Then mind you if its the Free phone support that interests you, then getting it when you buy the machine would be the best option.
As if its worth it, Thats up to you. If you plan on having it for 4 yrs or so then its worth it for sure. You will never have to pay for anything over the lifetime of the Mac ... Great deal :)

On a separate issue: They have some Excel & Word files they use. They don't need to manipulate them much, just be able to view them mostly. I assume they will be able to open them on a mac. Should I get them iWork, or have them use OpenOffice?
Yep have a look at the free options like OO as you have bought to our attention. Neo Office is another suggestion.

Also, what would be a cheap alternative to Outlook for contacts?

Cheap alternative would be the App that came with the OS and that is MacMail .......
I send and receive mail no worries from 3 different types of accounts ....
Its free :)

Cheers

Reaction score
I switched my 79 year old Dad to a Mac Mini this year (he was still using a 5 year old stinkpad that was ridiculously problemmatic). Great switch -- a bit of learning curve as mentioned, but easy to use and intuitive. He's using the computer much more now.

I also highly recommend using the free LogMeIn utility that allows you to access their computer remotely . . . makes troubleshooting from a distance a snap. That has solved many, many simple issues for me with my parents on their Mac.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I also highly recommend using the free LogMeIn utility that allows you to access their computer remotely . . . makes troubleshooting from a distance a snap. That has solved many, many simple issues for me with my parents on their Mac.
Thanks a ton for that link...I hadn't heard of that utility before!:)

- Nick

C

chas_m

I'm a little confused. The OP keeps saying there are no Apple Stores near his parents ... but Florida is well-covered in Apple Stores (and has many, many more independent dealers beyond that), so with the strange exception of the northern Gainesville area I'm not sure what he means ...

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm a little confused. The OP keeps saying there are no Apple Stores near his parents ... but Florida is well-covered in Apple Stores (and has many, many more independent dealers beyond that), so with the strange exception of the northern Gainesville area I'm not sure what he means ...

If I've got the story straight...the OP and his/her parents are both thinking of getting Mac's for the first time. The OP's parents are in Florida...and the OP is located far enough away that phone calls are the primary communication...so I guess this could mean 100 miles or 2000 miles...not sure.

Anyway...it sounds like the OP would be the primary "IT person" for the parents...if they need Macintosh help...they're calling the OP. So if the OP needs to be the family "Mac expert"...the OP needs the "One to One" training. Thus the Apple Store needs to be located near the OP...which we don't know where that location is...apparently in the middle of nowhere far from any Apple Stores.:(

This is my understanding anyway...,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
The post above that says you can't buy Applecare after 90 days is in error. Applecare may be purchased and added onto any of Apple's devices up until the day the original warranty expires, which is 1 year for notebooks (at least here in the U.S.). The 90 days refers only to phone support that comes with the original 12 month hardware warranty.

I'm married to a old woman (60+). ;D All of her Win PCs she has had over the years, I was constantly having to fix things. I got her a Mac 3 years ago now. Did have to show her a few things to get going and get it setup for her. But after that first month, the tech support side of it has dropped to basically zero except to remind her to do updates on occasion.

It really depends on if they are willing to learn new ways to do the same old things or if they are the type that does not like change.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" 2.8ghz Macbook Pro, 32GB iPhone 4
One to One isn't just about in person learning..

With your parents being quite far away, the online tutorial database and Help Center would prove to be quite useful.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The post above that says you can't buy Applecare after 90 days is in error. Applecare may be purchased and added onto any of Apple's devices up until the day the original warranty expires, which is 1 year for notebooks (at least here in the U.S.). The 90 days refers only to phone support that comes with the original 12 month hardware warranty.

As i said in my 1st post :)

You can purchase Care up until the last day of the existing warranty on your machine ... Then mind you if its the Free phone support that interests you, then getting it when you buy the machine would be the best option.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Yep, yours wasn't the post I was referring to. ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5 1TB HDD - iPod Touch 4G
I read the thread title at first glance, as 'Switch my parents for macbook'

I mean, OK, macbooks are good n all, but not really worth giving up your own parents for LOL

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.