Considering switching to Macbook Pro from Windows/Linux

Reaction score
Currently, I am a Computer Science major in college, and I am one of the few people in that major that do not have a steady personal laptop for coursework that they are satisfied with.

The only reason I have yet to buy a MacBook Pro is simply due to financial reasons. However, I am slowly but surely saving up for a Macbook Pro.

The reason I would like a Macbook Pro is because, although I have used Windows and Linux for years, I am ready to have a vacation from technical problems and just sit back and program software.

I enjoy playing with Linux in my free time, but ideally, I would like a MacbookPro with the Leopard OS, Linux, and Windows via Bootcamp.

Be honest with me: Would I be better off purchasing a less pricey Lenovo Thinkpad or Toshiba laptop for a computer that is steady and going to last me for years? I'm tired of buying notebooks that breakdown after a few months or a year. Or am I making the right decision in investing $1700 or more into a Macbook Pro?

I might work for my local Apple store in retail (just went to a group interview) if I get hired, so I might be getting an employee discount as well as a student discount.

Reaction score
Currently, I am a Computer Science major in college, and I am one of the few people in that major that do not have a steady personal laptop for coursework that they are satisfied with.

The only reason I have yet to buy a MacBook Pro is simply due to financial reasons. However, I am slowly but surely saving up for a Macbook Pro.

The reason I would like a Macbook Pro is because, although I have used Windows and Linux for years, I am ready to have a vacation from technical problems and just sit back and program software.

I enjoy playing with Linux in my free time, but ideally, I would like a MacbookPro with the Leopard OS, Linux, and Windows via Bootcamp.

Be honest with me: Would I be better off purchasing a less pricey Lenovo Thinkpad or Toshiba laptop for a computer that is steady and going to last me for years? I'm tired of buying notebooks that breakdown after a few months or a year. Or am I making the right decision in investing $1700 or more into a Macbook Pro?

I might work for my local Apple store in retail (just went to a group interview) if I get hired, so I might be getting an employee discount as well as a student discount.

I just got a Macbook Pro and while I think it is a great machine, I would probably have just went with the 999 Macbook if I had to do it again. There are pro's and con's to Snow Leopard. There are many things I like better in Windows 7 (probably because Windows is an OS I am comfortable with).

I learn new stuff about OS X every day and just told someone that the one thing I like is that things work. I'm not downloading plugins and crap all the time.

My advice is that unless you REALLY need the i5 or i7 horsepower, go with the cheaper model and I think you will be a happy camper. I still have Windows in both a Boot Camp and Parallels VM, so it's only a couple of clicks away if you really need to get to it.

C

chas_m

I don't think of programming as a high-processor-demand activity (generally), so I too think a refurb'd or otherwise somewhat-cheaper model might be the way to go for a first Mac.

But as the Mac is the *ONLY* computer on the market that out of the box can run all three major operating systems (and various versions of them, even simultaneously), clearly I think the Mac is THE best choice for a programmer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2015 13"MBA 2.2GHz i7, 8GB RAM, OS X 10.11.6
The non-Pro MacBook is a solid machine for $999. I bought one a month after purchasing our 21.5" iMac and I have been really happy with both. They do what they're supposed to and I've had no problems with either so far. I've only been using Mac for about 2 months after being a Win user for over 10 years, but I am more comfortable in and have more confidence in using Apple OS than I ever did with Windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
It always amazes me when people say they need a new notebook every year or even after a few months... what are they doing to their poor computers?

I have an early 2008 Macbook Pro and it is just as speedy today as the day I got it two years ago. I do a lot of video editing and transcoding and the processor works very hard; often I have to leave it on all night to transcode a big project into the many different formats I need it in. I rarely turn it off and only occasionally let it sleep, yet despite all this it has not slowed down or burnt out or anything like that, just a little hiccup now and then.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
I don't think of programming as a high-processor-demand activity (generally), so I too think a refurb'd or otherwise somewhat-cheaper model might be the way to go for a first Mac.

But as the Mac is the *ONLY* computer on the market that out of the box can run all three major operating systems (and various versions of them, even simultaneously), clearly I think the Mac is THE best choice for a programmer.

Clearly very good points that should be considered highly. No need for your first Mac to be an MBP unless you're planning on using it for more demanding CPU tasks. Get the base model MB and upgrade the memory and hard drive yourself and you should be very good to go. Then, when you've learned a lot more about OS X and the accompanying hardware, you'll then be able to make a more informed decision about whether or not spending more money on an MBP is the right thing to do.

Who knows, you might even want an iMac at that point.. I know I do, and I was in your shoes a couple of years ago. Started with a 15" MBP and now have an 13" MBP. One belongs to the Mrs. I need the extra juice for photo processing etc.. And now I'm really aching for an 27" iMac.

Doug

Reaction score
Helpful - thanks

I am definitely doing the switch and was looking for more insight on which way to go in the Mac world.
Thanks for the info - this and some other posts are going to be invaluable info for me to decide where to spend my money.
I love forums!!:*

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.