expose

Reaction score
Ok question on the apple website is this site wrong, on my macbook F9 and F10 are track forward and mute, is Expose the f3 key now? On my macbook it has a box with little boxes in it. I know I sound dumb but im just making sure Im not crazy here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB061LL/B & iPhone4
it's F3 on my MacBook.. F7 / F9 are for track backward / forward.

C

chas_m

Apple changed the keyboard layouts of the system function keys a little while back. You're not crazy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
If you have the newer Mac laptops then the F keys have dual functions. The first is the F keys themselves such as F1, F2, F3, etc. The second function are specialized key functions such as Expose, screen brightness, mute, play, etc.

On my MBP F3's dual function is the Expose key but I can also use F9, F10 for Expose but it's dual function is track forward and mute. Pressing F3 by itself doesn't bring up Expose for me.

In order to use the secondary function you need to hold the the FN key while pressing one of the F keys.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2015 13"MBA 2.2GHz i7, 8GB RAM, OS X 10.11.6
You can change it back to the old way, if you want to. Just go to System Prefs→Keyboard, click the Keyboard tab and check the box, "Use all F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys". You're good to go - now F9, F10, and F11 activate the three functions of Exposé. You now have to use the fn key in combination with the specialized keys (mute, volume, etc.) to have them work their special functions, though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.