Rogue ad server?

C

chas_m

Just lately (last few days), I've been experiencing long delays between the completion of the "header" of the pages of this site -- logo, greeting/status, site menubar -- and the rest of it (header ad, content, etc).

I've tested this with three completely different browsers with identical results. No other forum or site has these delays, just this one.

It seems to have something to do with the loading of the flash-based ad directly under the site "menubar." The delay can sometimes be in excess of a minute.

Seems to happen whenever a "new" ad is loaded. And no, using an ad-blocker doesn't seem to help.

Hope you can fix this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Thanks, I've notified the server folks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks, I've notified the server folks.

I think what Chas reported is the same thing I experienced and mentioned the other day. It does seem to be much better now. Fast responses and quick loading of pages.

Thanks for fixing it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Ad Servers

I was recently under the torment of dialup (and slow dialup at that - 23.6, 28.8 etc). That was irritating enough, but to be further frustrated by the delays at the numerous ad servers was beyond the pale. While waiting for the page proper to load, I watched the names of the ad servers (not sure I got them all) as they dawdled across the base of the browser (Camino) screen, thus:
adserver1.backbeat.media
bullseye.backbeat.media
skimlinks
edgequantserve
googleanalytics
ad.doubleclick.net
ads.gmodules.com (I left this worst one till last - long delays)

As you can see, I had plenty of time to note the names, so slow was the page loading. Which of those servers was fingered as the 'rogue' culprit? Further, why would I, as a MOTM, using ad-free pages, be required to wait until all those intruders had passed by, never to darken my browser window?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Resurrecting this thread, huge delays in getting M-F pages to load today (Thurs morning, 23 Sept). SpeedTest results satisfactory, so the cause appears to be ad servers again. After the 6 or 7 ad server names have finished annoying me, I get the "Waiting for mac-forums", with the constant spinning ball and unfinished progress bar (Camino). Does the same with Safari, or goes nowhere. Anyone else?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.