Windows 7 Graphics problem

Reaction score
HI

I just bought a iMac and i installed windows 7 on the machine, this iMac is intel 2.66GHz with 4GB of ram. the graphic card is ATI radion HD 4850

When in windows 7 the video card keep on crashing, sometimes every few seconds. and it saids that the driver form the ATI family has crashed and successfully recovered.

I've tried downloading the latest bootcamp software, newest ATI driver. it's still happening. I hope someone can help me

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 2.66GHz i5, 1TB HDD, 12GB RAM, OS X 10.7.3, iPod Classic 160GB,iPad 1 64GB Wi-fi, iPhone 4S
OP
L
Reaction score
i installed the regular ATI driver, i'll try the mobility one, see if it works. thanks

Seems to be working fine, i'll update more as i go

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Did you install the regular ATI driver for the 4850, or the Radeon Mobility 4850 driver. The iMac requires the Mobility driver as it uses the 4850 chipset used in laptops. Installing the Mobility series driver should fix the graphics issues.

I have to wonder why Apple hasn't officially addressed this by a patch or update to Boot Camp? I've seen you help several folks with this and I also have helped folks - all with the same problem, the wrong driver is installed.

Anyway, I wanted to say a heads up to you for discovering it. Good work. :D

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 2.66GHz i5, 1TB HDD, 12GB RAM, OS X 10.7.3, iPod Classic 160GB,iPad 1 64GB Wi-fi, iPhone 4S
I have to wonder why Apple hasn't officially addressed this by a patch or update to Boot Camp? I've seen you help several folks with this and I also have helped folks - all with the same problem, the wrong driver is installed.

Anyway, I wanted to say a heads up to you for discovering it. Good work. :D

Regards.

I drove myself crazy for several hours trying to get the drivers installed in Vista. I was having the same issue of he video driver crashing. Then I remembered someone saying that the iMac was just a laptop with a huge screen, so I decided to try the Mobility drivers and it was an instant fix. I agree that Apple should address it with an update to Bootcamp so the correct drivers get installed. But, until they do, I will keep sending people in the right direction to solve this problem.

OP
L
Reaction score
Thank you guys, i got the problem fixed, i almost think that i should return it and get a PC instead :Smirk:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.