How To Play Randomly

Reaction score
Hi, i have an Imac, Still trying to figure it out, to play music i have been highlighting the song then pressing the space bar to play, Itunes looks far to complicated.

Is there a way to play songs randomly, at the moment i have to select every track each time it finishes, I would like to select a load of music tracks and then play then in a random order so i don't have to keep getting up , even better if i can select from different folders at once.

I'm sure there is probably a real easy way right in front of me...

Appreciate your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac. Intel Quad Core. 16 GB Ram.
Drag or copy the tracks you want to listen to into your DJ folder then play them from there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In your side bar, left hand side under Playlists.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry I have just read your first post again and I seem to have got hold of the wrong end of the stick.

iTunes is not complicated. I'm sure if you play around with it for a while you will soon get used to it.

As I said in my earlier post. The easiest way to play tunes randomly is to drag them from your folders, as you wish them to be played, into your DJ list in iTunes.

OP
W
Reaction score
Thanks Gandalph i'll have a play with itunes , nothing ventured nothing gained i suppose, just looks really complicated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
It sounds like you are playing music with Finder's quick look feature. As the name implies the quick look feature is meant to be a preview feature so it not a fully featured software for opening your files. It's a very basic program so you can't do much else with it.

You can open just about any file in Finder the same way but it just gives you a small preview of the file. You should not mistake it for actually opening the file.

I digress. As mentioned you can do what you want in iTunes and it's a pretty easy application to use. If you have all your songs in one folder then open up iTunes and go to the file menu and select add to library. Find the folder with all your songs. If you have songs in several different folders scattered around on your computer then you will have to import each folder individually. I have all my songs in one folder with several subfolders.

Once your songs are imported, they will play in the order to see listed. You can click on Name, Artist, Album, etc at the top to arrange by that category or you can manually rearrange them by dragging them. If you want to play them in random order then turn on shuffle in the bottom left. Just hover your mouse over the button for a few seconds and a pop-up dialog will tell you want each button does. If you want to sub group your songs into smaller groups then create a new playlist and drag songs into that playlist. Play around with it some more and you will learn it.

C

chas_m

I have to mention that iTunes already HAS a shuffle feature, no making playlists or folders or such necessary at all.

1. Open iTunes. Select the Music library if its not already selected.

2. Click on a song -- any song -- to start playing.

3. Click the shuffle button on the bottom left. Voila, endless random tracks.

clickTheShuffleButton.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.