Burning Multiple Sessions DVDR+/DVDR-

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 2.8GHz Core i7 4GB; MacBook Pro 13.3" Core i5 4GB
Where can I obtain info on burning multiple sessions on DVD+R or DVD-R? Also would appreciate tips about compiling data (mostly still pix) for burning in above. The Mac systems seem complicated to me as I previously used NERO on pc. Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Sadly this is the biggest limitation of burning in Mac OS. You cannot burn sessions like you can in Nero on a PC, not even in Toast, it's equivalent.

C

chas_m

There's a good reason for this.

It's because most people don't understand the burning software well enough to properly close sessions, resulting in discs that can only be read on machines with the exact same software.

Apple decided to avoid this whole complicated (and often proprietary) "session" business to simply things. In my view, they were correct to do so.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I disagree. There's nothing complicated about multi-session burning. It's been available in Windows for years and there really isn't a good reason why it's never been implemented in OS X. To say that people don't understand how to do something is no excuse for not implementing it. You can say the same about a lot of other functions in OS X and likewise for Windows.

Software from Roxio, Nero, Ashampoo, and others lead you by the hand with regard to multi-session burning. Ashampoo for example will flash a warning that if you close the session, it can't be written to again.

And, BTW, you can multi-session burn to CD media in OS X although the results are mixed and not very elegant.

Regards.

C

chas_m

Apple is all about the experience, and creating a multi-session CD that won't open on someone else's machine is NOT a Mac-like experience.

Not to pick on my late dad, but he couldn't even manage to burn a multi-session CD in such a way that his office *windows pc* could read the disk he had made on his home *windows pc.* He was, in my judgement, quite typical of older, non-geek users.

When I finally talked him into an iMac it turned out to be the smartest thing he (and I) ever did. He never tired of mentioning that now EVERY disc he burned on his Mac could be read on his firm's Windows PCs.

THAT's a Mac experience.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I guess we can agree to disagree on this one. I just don't believe Mac users are not smart enough to know how to do multi session recording. As a matter of fact, after using Windows for years and being in the business of repairing computers I believe the average Mac user is heads above the average Windows user.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.