Bootcamp Error Message Please Help

Reaction score
First off, let me thank mac-forums and its users for all of their support as I am a first time mac user just learning the ropes.

Here is my problem. I have a 13 in Aluminum Macbook Unibody and about a week ago, I partitioned my hard drive to install my copy of Windows 7 using boot camp. Upon rebooting my MB today and trying to switch from Snow Leopard to Windows 7, to my surprise, the Windows partition disappeared! Looking through Disk Utility, it just shows that there is one partition (The Snow Leopard).

I had no software or documents on the Windows 7 so I thought I would just re-partition the hard drive using bootcamp. But, when i go to boot camp I get the following error:

The startup disk must be formatted as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume or already partitioned by Boot Camp Assistant for installing Windows.

Then I have to exit boot camp.

Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and Happy 4th!

here are some screenshots:

http://yfrog.com/edscreenshot20100704at535p

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Something is amiss here.

It appears from the screenshot you supplied that your Hard Drive is partitioned into two partitions. One is your MacIntosh HD the other states Time Machine Backups.

First: Boot Camp will not create a partition on a drive that has already been partitioned. It must be a single partitioned drive in order for it to work.

Second: Why would you want to keep your Time Machine Backups on the same drive you're backing up? What happens if that drive fails? How are you going to restore?

Are you sure you actually created a Windows 7 partition? It would not be possible using Boot Camp. (see above) Did you use Disk Utility?

Here's what I recommend... Buy an external hard drive and use it for your Time Machine backups. Erase the current Time Machine Backups partition on your hard drive and extend the MacIntosh HD to encompass the entire drive. Next, try to use Boot Camp again to create a partition for Windows 7.

Let us know.

Regards.

OP
N
Reaction score
Something is amiss here.

It appears from the screenshot you supplied that your Hard Drive is partitioned into two partitions. One is your MacIntosh HD the other states Time Machine Backups.

First: Boot Camp will not create a partition on a drive that has already been partitioned. It must be a single partitioned drive in order for it to work.

Second: Why would you want to keep your Time Machine Backups on the same drive you're backing up? What happens if that drive fails? How are you going to restore?

Are you sure you actually created a Windows 7 partition? It would not be possible using Boot Camp. (see above) Did you use Disk Utility?

Here's what I recommend... Buy an external hard drive and use it for your Time Machine backups. Erase the current Time Machine Backups partition on your hard drive and extend the MacIntosh HD to encompass the entire drive. Next, try to use Boot Camp again to create a partition for Windows 7.

Let us know.

Regards.

thanks for your help! i did what you said, erasing the time machine backup disk and extending the macintosh hd. I re-ran boot camp again and re installed windows 7 and it works perfectly.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Alright! Great to hear. Enjoy Windows 7 and visit the forums often.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.