Some advice on choosing Video Editing software please

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5 1TB HDD - iPod Touch 4G
I currently use Adobe Premier Elements on the PC, but there isn't an equivalent mac version.

I liked elements, as its simple, & does what I need - Without blinding me with unnecessary options, or attempting to take over and do it for me!

From what I have seen of the iMovie thats installed, iMovie appears to want to take over (Or at least it looks that way, in the demo video)

All I usually need to do, is join 3 or four 5 min shots together, (& Maybe cut out a min here and there with a five min segment) put a front title on, run a watermark along it, and then spit it out in a downloadable, web friendly format.

I'm not intending to be creating the next Star Wars movie, so 'Full' Adobe Premier would be over kill. So, I'm thinking of 'Final Cut Express' - Does that sound like it might be right for me?

Or are there any other suggestions for 'mid range' relatively basic editing programs, along the same lines as adobe premier elements? Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
If you're used to Adobe Premier, iMovie is going to be VERY frustrating. Final Cut Express is probably perfect for you, much more similar to Premiere and Avid. If you need expansive codec options, you'll need Final Cut Pro, which is much more expensive but comes with a whole suite of other film making software that is invaluable.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Oneironaut, you have kinda confirmed what I was thinking :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
No problem. I will probably be creating some FCP video tutorials in the near future if you want a crash course.

C

chas_m

I have to mention that Adobe Premiere Pro for Mac exists. If the OP is a whiz at Premiere, I would probably look at Premiere Pro for Mac first, then Final Cut (Express or Pro) after that.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually, Im NOT a 'whiz' at anything LOL

I just know how to make the Elements version, do what I need it to do.

I suppose I could manage on the full pro version... But to obtain it legally, for the minimal amount of editing I ever do, wouldn't be financially viable.

I basically JUST DO what I explained in my OP... And I rarely need to deviate from that basic formular. Its more like a monthly repetitive task kinda thing, as opposed to it being an expression of my creative flair...

Cool thing is, I dont need to worry about it for another month or so anyway, as I'm up to date on what I need to do... The reason for my post, was that I was just really putting some feelers out....

Thanks for both of the above replies though :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.