First Mac!!

Reaction score
Hi, I just ordered my First Mac which is a Macbook pro 17'' with core i7, 8gb of ram, 512 Gb SSD, with apple care and a bunch of other stuff with the option expidited shipping!! I cant wait!!! it says its going to arrive next friday!

My question...once i open the box for the macbook pro should i charge it right away? or let the battery die then do a charge? I looked at some threads about calibrating the battery...should i do that right away? or give it a week of use? If i understood correctly...to calibrate the battery

' -plug into AC power, charge battery until fully charged and leave plugged in once the light is green for at least 2hrs.
-unplug, let battery fully drain until the computer shuts down and leave off and fully drained for at leat 5hrs' then i read do this 2-4 times in a row then once every month. is this correct?

Thanks!!

-Stef

Reaction score
It can't hurt but I don't think it's a solid requirement. Battery babysitting can certainly extend the life of it, but for example, for the first year I owned my MBP, I rarely if ever took it off wall power. It still happily holds nearly the same charge as the day I took it out of the box (according to System Profiler).

If you leave it on wall power overnight, don't panic.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.