• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple's Official Press Release on iPhone 4 Reception Issues and the Fix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Letter from Apple Regarding iPhone 4

Letter from Apple Regarding iPhone 4

Dear iPhone 4 Users,

The iPhone 4 has been the most successful product launch in Apple’s history. It has been judged by reviewers around the world to be the best smartphone ever, and users have told us that they love it. So we were surprised when we read reports of reception problems, and we immediately began investigating them. Here is what we have learned.

To start with, gripping almost any mobile phone in certain ways will reduce its reception by 1 or more bars. This is true of iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, as well as many Droid, Nokia and RIM phones. But some users have reported that iPhone 4 can drop 4 or 5 bars when tightly held in a way which covers the black strip in the lower left corner of the metal band. This is a far bigger drop than normal, and as a result some have accused the iPhone 4 of having a faulty antenna design.

At the same time, we continue to read articles and receive hundreds of emails from users saying that iPhone 4 reception is better than the iPhone 3GS. They are delighted. This matches our own experience and testing. What can explain all of this?

We have discovered the cause of this dramatic drop in bars, and it is both simple and surprising.

Upon investigation, we were stunned to find that the formula we use to calculate how many bars of signal strength to display is totally wrong. Our formula, in many instances, mistakenly displays 2 more bars than it should for a given signal strength. For example, we sometimes display 4 bars when we should be displaying as few as 2 bars. Users observing a drop of several bars when they grip their iPhone in a certain way are most likely in an area with very weak signal strength, but they don’t know it because we are erroneously displaying 4 or 5 bars. Their big drop in bars is because their high bars were never real in the first place.

To fix this, we are adopting AT&T’s recently recommended formula for calculating how many bars to display for a given signal strength. The real signal strength remains the same, but the iPhone’s bars will report it far more accurately, providing users a much better indication of the reception they will get in a given area. We are also making bars 1, 2 and 3 a bit taller so they will be easier to see.

We will issue a free software update within a few weeks that incorporates the corrected formula. Since this mistake has been present since the original iPhone, this software update will also be available for the iPhone 3GS and iPhone 3G.

We have gone back to our labs and retested everything, and the results are the same— the iPhone 4’s wireless performance is the best we have ever shipped. For the vast majority of users who have not been troubled by this issue, this software update will only make your bars more accurate. For those who have had concerns, we apologize for any anxiety we may have caused.

As a reminder, if you are not fully satisfied, you can return your undamaged iPhone to any Apple Retail Store or the online Apple Store within 30 days of purchase for a full refund.

We hope you love the iPhone 4 as much as we do.

Thank you for your patience and support.
Apple

Press Contacts:
Natalie Harrison
Apple
[email protected]
(408) 862-0565

Steve Dowling
Apple
[email protected]
(408) 974-1896

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Looks like those of us who said that it was only affecting people in low reception areas were correct. Glad to see Apple finally address the problem. This should put lots of people at ease and the whining can finally stop. :D

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Looks like those of us who said that it was only affecting people in low reception areas were correct. Glad to see Apple finally address the problem. This should put lots of people at ease and the whining can finally stop. :D

Not only that, but that it was mainly a display issue in the way that Apple was reporting strength and not an inherent design flaw in the hardware.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Apple admitted they were wrong. They admitted there was a flaw with their software. And Apple promptly wrote code for a fix to the issue. Now now many other IT companies would admit their own faults like this. They'd just pass the buck on to everyone else and refuse to take the blame.

Step 1 in fixing any problem is admitting you have a problem. That's another reason why I like Apple. This time at least they admitted they had a problem. Unlike all the rest who can't seem to do this. And the rest are not perfect. If they were, they would be the 2nd biggest company in the world with devices that sell 1 million+ in a month.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Also take note that for those who are still unhappy with their new iPhone, it can be returned within 30 days for a full refund. Even T-Mobile only allows 14 days for their phones to be returned. I think Apple has taken extra steps to provide customer satisfaction. Which is why they're number one.

Regards.

Reaction score
I realize that so far in this thread everyone seems pleased with Apple and the outcome of this fiasco so my post is likely to be disagreed with but I'll still say what's on my mind to offer another perspective.

Some of us are still experiencing problems with reception that is definitely not attributable to a reception display issue (software indicating inflated number of bars). The number of bars isn't my problem, the number of dropped calls is. I've lived in the same house for 5 years and have had the iPhone 3G, 3Gs, and now the iPhone 4. I have never dropped a call with any of my previous iPhones in this house so it stands to reason that I would not drop a call with the new iPhone unless it had a reception issue of some sort. I have dropped several calls over the past week since I got the iPhone 4. I wouldn't care if my iPhone 4 said I only had one bar where I had 5 with the previous iPhones as long as calls didn't drop however that's not the case.
Apple says that with the software update the number of bars displayed may be reduced by around 2 in order to indicate a more accurate representation of available coverage. My phone goes from 5 bars to no service when i hold it in a normal, comfortable fashion.
Check out this link to my demonstration of the loss in reception I am getting with this new phone. This is clearly not normal and even if after the software update it says I have 2 bars to start with, my holding the phone shouldn't cause me to lose service.
Now, it's also been said that you can just return the phone to Apple for a full refund; sounds like an easy fix. Why don't we just shut up, stop whining, get our money back, and go buy a different phone you might ask. Please receive this with an open mind, I'm not trying to whine here, just playing devil's advocate.
Many people paid early termination fees with other providers in order to buy the new iPhone 4 that Apple promised had the best reception yet. Others like myself sold our iPhone 3Gs and put the funds toward the new iPhone 4. Why would any of us doubt the promises Apple made about this new phone? I certainly had no reason to believe it would not be functional as a phone in my home as the previous ones had been fine. Not to mention the money many people have already spent on screen protectors and cases that will be lost if they return the phones.
Again, I'm not trying to argue with anyone here. Just using this forum as forums are intended, to discuss various points of view and different experiences.
Thanks for listening to my two cents worth.
P.S. I have to admit there was a bit of venting going on here as I am still upset with Apple's "fix"(not trying to fool anyone). And cheers to you guys who aren't experiencing these reception problems. Wish I was in your shoes.

Reaction score
I'm not trying to whine here, just playing devil's advocate.

A devil's advocate usually whines.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

As for Apple losing the iPhone 4 sales because of "said reception issues" (as I have read here and there on the net)

iPhone 4 Sales Top 1.7 Million

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's more than just "showing too many bars" and that's over simplifying what Apple is correcting...it has to do with the entire formula in the way they display signal strength. So before you write off their attempt to fix the issue, why not give it a chance?

Given that the majority of users aren't experiencing any reception problems, I tend to believe them that it's not an inherent design flaw of the phone. I know having issues is frustrating, but I suggest waiting for the fix.

And yes, I do think telling people to just return the phone is an appropriate response and not one to necessarily "shut them up." If you honestly think the phone is not usable and that Apple won't fix your problem, then return the phone. You can always purchase a new one down the road if you feel they've fixed the problem to your satisfaction.

It just seems to counter productive to go on and on about how aweful a phone is and how it doesn't work for you rather than just do something about it by returning the product.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
To be honest, this makes perfect sense from my experience. I can grip every square mm of my iphone, while I'm here in Rocky River, and nothing happens, but when I was in V.beach, I was very easy to force the bars to drop by holding it. The only issue I have with their statement is that if this was true, how come the same results cant be replicated while you are using a case? I have a new full body silicone/rubber case, that I got off of ebay for 1 buck, and I actually believe it helps with the issue more than the bumper.

Regardless, I'm liking my iphone way too much to even complain about anything.

Reaction score
Chris H. said:
A devil's advocate usually whines.

So before you write off their attempt to fix the issue, why not give it a chance?

It just seems to counter productive to go on and on about how aweful a phone is and how it doesn't work for you rather than just do something about it by returning the product.

First off, let me say that I love Apple products. I've had most of their iPhones and I recently switched to a Mac laptop. I have in no way given up on Apple and I don't plan to return the phone just yet. I do have some faith in them and I am hoping they will sneak in a fix to the reception issue along with the bar representation of signal strength. Although many people are not experiencing reception issues as a result of the phone's design or perhaps a bad batch of phones (who knows), it doesn't mean that a problem doesn't exist and it would, in my opinion, be short sided to say so just because one has not experienced it themselves. I am simply discussing another point of view here that I had hoped would be welcome in a discussion forum.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" 2.8ghz Macbook Pro, 32GB iPhone 4
First off, let me say that I love Apple products. I've had most of their iPhones and I recently switched to a Mac laptop. I have in no way given up on Apple and I don't plan to return the phone just yet. I do have some faith in them and I am hoping they will sneak in a fix to the reception issue along with the bar representation of signal strength. Although many people are not experiencing reception issues as a result of the phone's design or perhaps a bad batch of phones (who knows), it doesn't mean that a problem doesn't exist and it would, in my opinion, be short sided to say so just because one has not experienced it themselves. I am simply discussing another point of view here that I had hoped would be welcome in a discussion forum.

My belief is that your phone issue and the issue being fixed by Apple are not one in the same, but rather your's could very well be a hardware issue and I would suggest making a Genius Bar appointment, or better yet call (I know the irony) an Apple Technician.

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
it doesn't mean that a problem doesn't exist and it would, in my opinion, be short sided to say so just because one has not experienced it themselves. I am simply discussing another point of view here that I had hoped would be welcome in a discussion forum.

I don't think anyone is saying a problem doesn't exist, just that the problem is being misunderstood and potentially that some consumers are reaching a false conclusion rather than understanding the true situation. Also that the number of affected users (i.e. those that are actually experiencing issues with consistent dropped calls or data issues), is a small minority of people who have an iPhone 4.

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The only issue I have with their statement is that if this was true, how come the same results cant be replicated while you are using a case?

Because any cell phone will experience some signal attenuation when you hold it directly and dependent on where the antenna is in relation to where you're holding it which makes the signal drop more pronounced.

So in relation to what Apple is saying is the signal drop isn't really as big as what you're being led to believe, it's mainly an issue with an overly sensitive and miscalibrated reporting system.

Of course only time will tell if the software fix solves the issue...I'm betting that for most people it will since I think alot of the "OMG MAH SIGNALZ DROPPED DOWN" crowd are overreacting to a problem that doesn't actually exist.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Do remember Anandtech's findings that if you Vulcan Death Grip any phone, not just the iPhone 4, signal drops.

I know if you cover that gap between the antennas the signal goes down, but their findings shows that any other phone who's antenna is covered with the so called Death Grip will drop signal also. Human Hands are not very good at passing signals through them to the antenna. :D

That is why I say the issue is being blown way out of proportion. Even with my Nokia basic cell phones I used for years before the iPhone 3G, if I heald them a certain way where my hand covered where the antenna was, signal level dropped down 2-3 bars and in a bad area I lost service. This is Nokia with a normal antenna at the bottom of the phone and inside the phone.

Reaction score
Apple admitted they were wrong. They admitted there was a flaw with their software. And Apple promptly wrote code for a fix to the issue. Now now many other IT companies would admit their own faults like this. They'd just pass the buck on to everyone else and refuse to take the blame.

Step 1 in fixing any problem is admitting you have a problem. That's another reason why I like Apple. This time at least they admitted they had a problem. Unlike all the rest who can't seem to do this. And the rest are not perfect. If they were, they would be the 2nd biggest company in the world with devices that sell 1 million+ in a month.

How do you explain that Apple provided a ridiculous piece of rubber, called it a bumper, and it fixes a problem? Apple still won't admit the problem exists, yet it provided a fix. Apple was not honest with the antennae flaw and that bothers me a lot so I can't agree with your opinion about Apple coming clean. If they had merely provided the bumper with the phone, it would have not tarnished their reputation in my mind. Apple was A-1 with me before this but now not so much. Please don't tell me to return my Iphone, I gave my 3Gs to my husband. Also I'd like to say many features on the Iphone4 are a home run. The display is gorgeous and the video camera is so much better and I enjoy the multitasking and facetime. I just hate the lying because Apple fans are so loyal.

Reaction score

I doubt Apple issued that letter to Iphone 4 users because of just a few complaints. They must have been bombarded. I also found the reminder that we could return the device to be arrogant. I would have rather they just asked us to be patient and keep the faith. Apple shouldn't DANCE WITH PRETTY PINK PONIES on it's fans.

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So let me get this straight, you are claiming Apple is lying because they purposely created the Bumper case to "fix" this problem even before the phone was even released?

I think you need to spend some time reading the independent studies and test cases to realize that it's no where near as big an issue as you think.

And yes, I will tell you to return your phone if you truly think Apple is so evil and is lying to you on purpose and you hate your phone so much because it's not usable. It's just dumb to keep it if it truly doesn't work at all for you.

Reaction score
So let me get this straight, you are claiming Apple is lying because they purposely created the Bumper case to "fix" this problem even before the phone was even released?

I think you need to spend some time reading the independent studies and test cases to realize that it's no where near as big an issue as you think.

And yes, I will tell you to return your phone if you truly think Apple is so evil and is lying to you on purpose and you hate your phone so much because it's not usable. It's just dumb to keep it if it truly doesn't work at all for you.

Huh? Did I ever say I hate my phone or that Apple was "evil?" Please show me where. Can you explain the bumper?

OP
schweb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Huh? Did I ever say I hate my phone or that Apple was "evil?" Please show me where. Can you explain the bumper?

Your basically claiming Apple hatched an evil plot before the iPhone was released to create the Bumper as a solution to a problem they purposely left in the phone. So sure, you didn't say they were "evil" but you're certainly implying it.

Sure I can explain the Bumper, it's a case Apple designed to add the ability to personalize your device and add some protection. Aesthetically it may not be the best for everyone and some people may say it's dumb, but Apple's done a lot of dumb things...iPod Socks are a good example.

Although I'm sure that the Socks must have been part of an evil plot by Apple because they knew iPods could get scratched so they made these socks. :\

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.