Speaker static problem!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac G5 1GB RAM Superdrive; 12" powerbook 512mb RAM G4 Superdrive
I've got the altec lansing FX6021 speaker system hooked to my imac g5. Whenever they are on, there is really bad static coming out of the speakers. I used to have the Logitech Z-2300 speakers hooked up in the exact same postition and there was no static. They are set up about a two feet away from the imac. I can't even hardly stand to turn them on the static is so bad. Does anyone know what the problem could be??? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Faulty cable? Are they powered speakers? Sometimes speakers can pick up noise from the ground loop, particularly if there are lots of appliances hooked up to one power socket.

I'd first try the speakers on another source to see if it's the imac or the speakers causing the static.

Then try them with a different wall socket than the iMac is on.

Maybe try turning up the iMac's output volume. Also see if they are correctly set up to stereo mode in the audio midi setup panel (apps> Utilities> Audio Midi setup).

Hope one of these works!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
Aptmunich said:
Faulty cable? Are they powered speakers? Sometimes speakers can pick up noise from the ground loop, particularly if there are lots of appliances hooked up to one power socket.

I bet its a ground loop. I had this problem b/c my entire tiny apartment is on one circuit. I found that just hooking the speakers and the mac up to seperate surge protectors (good ones mind) solved the problem.

OP
donnation25
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac G5 1GB RAM Superdrive; 12" powerbook 512mb RAM G4 Superdrive
Yes, ground loop was the problem. Thanks a lot!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
O

october

I had a problem like this, but it was the speakers being to close to my router.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.