Time Machine Question

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was wondering about Time Machine as used on say a Time Capsule or alternative wireless storage device or NAS.

On my PC I currently backup with a hotswapable SATA 2TB hard drive. I push it in, make my backup and remove to a safe location.

I was considering Time Machine with either a NAS or Time Capsule. However, I was wondering how efficient that is over wireless. When I made my first PC backup (over 1.7TB) onto the hard drive, it took nearly 19hours. That was over the 300GB/sec SATA connection. Wifi is much slower, would it seriously take several days for the first backup? What happens when the Mac is rebooted during that time? And afterwards, how often does Time Machine do incremental backups and how long would this take?

Thanks for your help :O)

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was wondering about Time Machine as used on say a Time Capsule or alternative wireless storage device or NAS.

On my PC I currently backup with a hotswapable SATA 2TB hard drive. I push it in, make my backup and remove to a safe location.

I was considering Time Machine with either a NAS or Time Capsule. However, I was wondering how efficient that is over wireless. When I made my first PC backup (over 1.7TB) onto the hard drive, it took nearly 19hours. That was over the 300GB/sec SATA connection. Wifi is much slower, would it seriously take several days for the first backup? What happens when the Mac is rebooted during that time? And afterwards, how often does Time Machine do incremental backups and how long would this take?

Thanks for your help :O)

I have a time capsule and it is pretty slow, router wise. It's speed doesn't touch my 50 dollar WRT-54GL with Tomato on it. Time machine does work, though and for my Macbook, it took about an hour for my initial backup and I did it over wireless (most recommend plugging it into an ethernet port for the first one).

If I could do it over again, I probably would not buy a time capsule. I would just use a USB hard drive to backup when necessary or use an always on NAS.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.