Safari 5 problems since 10.6.4 update

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid 2011 27" imac Core i5 2.7GHz, 8GB, 1TB
Had my mac since feb and loving it, been totally problem free, until the latest update to 10.6.4. Since this update safari 5 will now crash on certain sites that were previously fine i.e www.sportinglife.com (after a few links in).

Has anyone else experienced this type of problem with safari since updating, and more importantly has anybody a solution. the only thing i tried was deleting 5 and going back to 4 but this hasnt solved the issue, am therefore assuming its more related to the os update.

Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
It would be a good idea to put your Mac's specs in your Profile so they show up under your username on the left. (look at the top of the main page for "Profile") That'll make it easier for others to help you in the future. :)

Anyways, I went to that website and clicked on all sorts of links and it never crashed. So there's nothing wrong with the website, itself.
I am also running 10.6.4 using Safari 5.
Did you try installing the updates from Apple's website instead of through the Software Updater?
Don't know if it will make a difference but definitely one of the early troubleshooting steps to take.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the reply put specs in as you said, forgot to say site works fine in firefox just wont work in safari. download was automatic via software update, downloading the combo update now, will give that a try

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I've had the same issues with Safari 5. I actually switched over to Chrome as my main browser until they update Safari again to see if it fixes my issues.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Just tried the OP's link worked ok just now and I wonder if it could be the difference in providers I am using U-verse.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
lates update: rollback to 4 doesnt work, clear cache dont work, combo update dont work, but other browsers are fine, beats the **** out of me

Reaction score
Yeah, I've had to switch to Firefox. Ever since the upgrade it takes about 10 minutes before Safari finishes loading. Until then it just locks up. I've tried everything to fix it without luck.

C

chas_m

I don't suppose anyone here tried permissions repair and a deep cache clean?

I visited the site mentioned and had no issues.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
To the OP, does this happen when visiting the video's that are on that site? Reason I am asking is on one machine here at the house I get a lot of crashes with Safari 5 and it's always watching videos where Flash is used.

C

chas_m

lates update: rollback to 4 doesnt work, clear cache dont work, combo update dont work, but other browsers are fine, beats the **** out of me

If "roll back to 4" doesn't work, then its not really a Safari 5 problem, is it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't suppose anyone here tried permissions repair and a deep cache clean?

I visited the site mentioned and had no issues.

Yes I have, and no, it doesn't fix the issue.

I think it will take an Apple software update to fix it given the number of people complaining about issues with Safari 5.

It's obviously not universal, but there's clearly some setup for Safari 5 that makes it super flaky on some people's systems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
 Macbook Pro 13" 2.26Ghz C2D; 8Gb; 500Gb 7200; Nvidia 9400M, Apple TV 160 GB, iPod Nano, i
I have clicked the link twice now. First time Safari crashed before it even loaded the page. Second time it loaded the page and then crashed. Not sure what the problem could be. As a theory out of everybody who crashes with Safari 5 do they use glims? I am using glims and it crashes. Obviously firefox et al does not have glims and its optional for other people to install with safari. Other than that I never use that website and Safari 5 works on every other website I use so it shall remain my browser of choice.

Dan

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Do you have an older version of Glims? I tried it with an older one but only briefly (never touch Safari) and it worked fine. Disable all plug-ins (Safari > Preferences > Security > uncheck "Enable plug-ins") and give it another try.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If "roll back to 4" doesn't work, then its not really a Safari 5 problem, is it?

Thing is it was FINE before the update, so either a problem with the 10.6.4 patch, or the safari update.

One other thing which i just thought of, are all the other people having this issue using 64bit kernel and extensions, as i am, long shot i know, will go back to 32 bit to see if this has any difference.

ChasM try not to be so condescending in your replies please, i notice you can be very helpful most of the time, but other times you come across as a bit of a prick.

EDIT, not 64bit issue, still the same in 32bit

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
 Macbook Pro 13" 2.26Ghz C2D; 8Gb; 500Gb 7200; Nvidia 9400M, Apple TV 160 GB, iPod Nano, i
Do you have an older version of Glims? I tried it with an older one but only briefly (never touch Safari) and it worked fine. Disable all plug-ins (Safari > Preferences > Security > uncheck "Enable plug-ins") and give it another try.

Well my theory about Glims is incorrect. Tried disabling plugins like you said but it still crashed. Ah well, fortunately for me I never use the website as I would hate to be forced to use another webbrowser until the problem is resolved. My guess is that perhaps I have something else installed or running similar to other people that have reported the crashes on as logically OSX 10.6.4 and Safari 5 should remain constants and I cannot see the problem being based in hardware as surely the website would force firefox and/or google chrome to crash.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini
the only thing i tried was deleting 5 and going back to 4 but this hasnt solved the issue, am therefore assuming its more related to the os update.
Have you tried deleting Java caches? If you google Safari 5, many are having issues and some are wondering if it might be java related..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (2.8 Ghz and 2 gb memory)& MacBook
I have a problem with BBC iplayer and a adobe flash player scripts causing my imac to run slowly and not allow iplayer to go to full screen. Seems to have started after moving to Safari 5. Could Java caches effect this. If so as a non techi where do I find the caches and how do I delete them.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Safari 5.0.1 update was just released via Software Update. Give it a try. Lots of issues fixed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.