Download Windows?

Reaction score
I am a new MacBookPro user. I have partitioned my HD to allow for Windows, so I can migrate over my files at my leisure. But I do not have Windows disc. The "Boot Camp" guide says to use disc. Can I download, or must I acquire discs?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
You can download if you have a MSDN subscription - but that is $800 - but you still will have to burn a disk if you download it - so for the most part - unless you are installing 3 or more computers with windows your best bet is to go to someplace like newegg or directron and get an OEM disk. Doesn't have the pretty packaging but it is quite a bit cheaper than retail.

Reaction score
I am a new MacBookPro user. I have partitioned my HD to allow for Windows, so I can migrate over my files at my leisure. But I do not have Windows disc. The "Boot Camp" guide says to use disc. Can I download, or must I acquire discs?

Are you sure you really want or need to do this.:\

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini-2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo-4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3-OSX 10.6.3-160GB SATA-GeForce 9400
Think of it this way: A partition for bootcamp is like a whole other computer. You have to install an OS like you would on a separate computer if you want to use bootcamp. You need to buy the discs because you need a license for the OS on the partition, just like you would on a separate computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
If you all you want is to transfer files over from Windows then you can always transfer the files to an external hard drive and then at your leisure transfer then over to your Mac. You can't transfer over Windows software because it won't work on your Mac.

Unless you want Windows on your Mac to run Windows programs then there isn't much reason to install it. If you didn't know what you are trying to do with Boot Camp is installing Windows onto your Mac. As mentioned in order to do so you have to have another licensed copy of Windows because you are basically installing it onto a new computer and can't use your old copies of Windows.

Reaction score
Maybe I'm misunderstanding here, but I do not see why you need to pay $800.

Windows Home Premium is about $170 or so, and possibly cheaper if you look for it. Likewise, if you previously owned a windows PC, you may have recieved a Windows disk. If it's an OEM version it may have problems installing on different hardware, but that depends on the OEM version.

If it is a full version, you should be able to use that license on your Mac, but you will have to cancel the license on your PC.

Check all the stuff that came with your previous laptop or PC. Usually a windows disk is issued with it.

If you don't have the disk, you may still have your license key (often a sticker on the bottom of a laptop or back of a PC). You could borrow a friends disk and try your license key for the bootcamp installation.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Maybe I'm misunderstanding here, but I do not see why you need to pay $800.

Windows Home Premium is about $170 or so, and possibly cheaper if you look for it. Likewise, if you previously owned a windows PC, you may have recieved a Windows disk. If it's an OEM version it may have problems installing on different hardware, but that depends on the OEM version.
The question from the OP was can you download Windows. My answer was legally - yes you can from an MSDN OS subscription. This costs $800. And I quantified by saying a MSDN subscription doesn't make sense unless you are installing on multiple computers. At $170 a pop that is 5 computers to break even from buying 5 disks. The reason I said 3 or more was because you can get a 3 pack for $500 - I really should have said 5 or more.

If it is a full version, you should be able to use that license on your Mac, but you will have to cancel the license on your PC.

Check all the stuff that came with your previous laptop or PC. Usually a windows disk is issued with it.

If you don't have the disk, you may still have your license key (often a sticker on the bottom of a laptop or back of a PC). You could borrow a friends disk and try your license key for the bootcamp installation.
Your windows license key - once activated - would have to be re-activated on new hardware unless you are using an OS older than XP. Microsoft - may or may not allow you to re-activate a key on new hardware - usually you have to call and explain why your hardware changed so much to activate. This actually has been causing issues with Virtual Machines and pointing to the bootcamp partition. I think most of the issues are now resolved - but windows activation is a pain once you have to start calling.

Lastly hardly any OEM computers come with a full disk install of windows. They usually come with a restore disk that puts windows back onto a given OEM computer.

Reaction score
Your windows license key - once activated - would have to be re-activated on new hardware unless you are using an OS older than XP. Microsoft - may or may not allow you to re-activate a key on new hardware - usually you have to call and explain why your hardware changed so much to activate. This actually has been causing issues with Virtual Machines and pointing to the bootcamp partition. I think most of the issues are now resolved - but windows activation is a pain once you have to start calling.

Actually, reactivating Windows on a new machine was pretty easy for me. I've done it on many occasions, either for work as a system administrator, or at home. Regarding home activations, I had an OEM version which when my PC was heavily upgraded, it still activated without any issues. This surprised me because on OEM's, they usually check for changed hardware and if too much was changed you may get initially refused. I had changed my memory, video card, Hard Drives, CPU, actually, everything but the mother board and it still went through. A standard Windows (non-OEM) version has none of these limitations. On one occasion I did have to call MS and it was very quick and painless.

Lastly hardly any OEM computers come with a full disk install of windows. They usually come with a restore disk that puts windows back onto a given OEM computer.
Fair enough here. This is especially the case for many notebooks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
You can also download Windows 7 if you're a student and buy a student license. That's how I got mine for $29.00 :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iTouch 32 GB 1st Gen, iPad 64GB 3G, 2.8GHZ Quad-Core Intel i7
What do you want this malware for anyway?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
What do you want this malware for anyway?

Sometimes you don't have a choice if you need to use some software that is only available on Windows.

I'll also say that Windows 7 isn't really that bad.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.