• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Smoothing Clips in Final Cut Express HD

Reaction score
I am trying to splice together several clips of a person speaking. Unfortunately, one clip ends with the person facing one way and the next clip begins with the person facing the opposite direction. So when the whole movie sequence is played there is an awful image jump between clips. Is there any method to eliminating this "jump" between clips?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
You can use a cross-dissolve... It will still look pretty bad but it can get rid of the harsh jump.

You could also try a white flash. Just put a white matte (video generator) at the end of the first clip, in a video track above the second one, and fade the opacity down quickly over the second clip....

I do alot of editing for public speaking events and such... in this type of venue I can usually I can cover the cut with a dissolve to and from a crowd shot from a different part of the teaching/speaking. Most people won't notice they are seeing the same shot twice when it shows later.

Hopefully one of those suggestions wil help.

Reaction score
sarahsboy18 said:
You can use a cross-dissolve... It will still look pretty bad but it can get rid of the harsh jump.

You could also try a white flash. Just put a white matte (video generator) at the end of the first clip, in a video track above the second one, and fade the opacity down quickly over the second clip....

I do alot of editing for public speaking events and such... in this type of venue I can usually I can cover the cut with a dissolve to and from a crowd shot from a different part of the teaching/speaking. Most people won't notice they are seeing the same shot twice when it shows later.

Hopefully one of those suggestions wil help.
Exactly what I would of said!........yeah right! Huh? ;)

OP
M
Reaction score
well do you have any other suggestions, would using two cameras filming simultaneously and just switching between angles avoid the situation???

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
If you had two cameras, you could fade from one shoot to the other.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.