Access PC server via wifi (print and file sharing)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4", 2.53ghz, 4gb ram
My work has a PC server that connects to our network printer. There's a 2nd hard drive on the server that can be accessed by any PC computer that is hardwired into the network. All PC's have printer access also.

I have a MBP (intel 2.53, 4gb ram) running 10.6 that is hooked up via wifi to our Linksys WRT54G2 wireless router.

I want to be able to access the hard drive on the PC server (i know that it has something to do with mounting to the server) and also be able to access the network printer in our office from my macbook pro via wifi.

I'm kinda semi familiar with wireless networks but not a pro. Any tips or links to sites that can walk me through it would be amazing!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 15in, 2.66ghz, 8gb RAM, 2x GPU, 320gb HDD
You shouldn't have any problem connecting to server.. I am assuming you've already tried connecting via:

Go > Connect to Server > smb://servername/sharename

If you haven't already tried this, try it. If not, I suppose i would need more information on what you have tried.

EDIT: Keep in mind if you're not connected to the local network where the server is hosted you will need to connect to a vlan assuming your net admin has it setup!

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4", 2.53ghz, 4gb ram
ekim

I have tried the method that you suggested, but I get a connection failed response stating that the server may not exist or it is unavailable at this time.

I'm the only one in the company who knows anything about the server so I guess you could call me the network "admin". (pfft haha).

could you point me towards any tutorials that I can read that'll help me figure out how to set up what needs to be set up? thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.