Shopping for new Macbook pro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC / Powerbook / Ipad 3
I am a graphic designer and i was in the market for a New macbook pro, can anyone give me an advice, I already know im gonna go for the 15" screen, but i just dont know about the processor is there a big diffrence between the 2.4 and the 2.53 or the 2.66 for that matter?

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
MacWorld does extensive benchmarking on all Apple computers. You can take a look for yourself and decide which MBP version meets your need.

However, more important than CPU clock speed is how well does the machine perform graphically? That's what you should be looking at since you'll be using it for graphic design.

Here's the LINK.

Regards.

OP
macjuicy23
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacWorld does extensive benchmarking on all Apple computers. You can take a look for yourself and decide which MBP version meets your need.

However, more important than CPU clock speed is how well does the machine perform graphically? That's what you should be looking at since you'll be using it for graphic design.

Here's the LINK.

Regards.

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
alMB, 2.0C2D, 2GB, 500GB, SD, etc
You've probably figured this out by now, but if you really need the extra graphics (and processing) oomph, I'd go with the 2.66; it has a 512mb GeForce 330M vs. the 256mb of the slower models. (It is, however, the most expensive...:p)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
...but i just dont know about the processor is there a big diffrence between the 2.4 and the 2.53 or the 2.66 for that matter?
There isn't much difference in CPU performance between the 2.4 and 2.53. There is a noticeable difference when you jump to the i7 2.66. As mentioned MacWorld does have some good comparison reviews.

The graphics card is the other deciding factor in all of this and you should see what are the requirements from the software you are planning on using. Not all graphic design software require much graphics card performance especially if you are mainly working in 2D as opposed to 3D. For example Photoshop isn't much different in performance when I use my intergrated 9400 card as opposed to my better 9600 graphics card. With 2D graphics is it still mostly the CPU that's important and having enough RAM is also important but 4 GB is usually enough for most people. If you are a power user then you can always upgrade the RAM and a faster hard drive later.

OP
macjuicy23
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There isn't much difference in CPU performance between the 2.4 and 2.53. There is a noticeable difference when you jump to the i7 2.66. As mentioned MacWorld does have some good comparison reviews.

The graphics card is the other deciding factor in all of this and you should see what are the requirements from the software you are planning on using. Not all graphic design software require much graphics card performance especially if you are mainly working in 2D as opposed to 3D. For example Photoshop isn't much different in performance when I use my intergrated 9400 card as opposed to my better 9600 graphics card. With 2D graphics is it still mostly the CPU that's important and having enough RAM is also important but 4 GB is usually enough for most people. If you are a power user then you can always upgrade the RAM and a faster hard drive later.

yeah I basically work on PS, Illustrator and Dreamweaver for web... i dont do any 3D rendering or animation, I just want to avoid spending so much more for power Im not going to notice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
I think any of the current 15" processor will work for you. You have to decide for yourself if it's worth it getting the 2.66 based on reading the reviews. I have the previous generation and it works fine for me and the newer MBPs are faster according to benchmark tests. I would recommend getting a faster hard drive since the stock Apple drives are 5400 RPM. You will notice a difference if you open a lot of large files or generally open and save a lot of files.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" (spring 2010), iPhone 4 16gb
I second looking into a faster hard drive RPM

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.