View Metadata for JPEGs

Reaction score
Hi,

I was wondering there was an application that would let me view the metadata that has been added on a windows machine for images like JPEGs. For example, I would like to be able to see things like 'Comments' and 'Title' like you can add in windows by right clicking>properties.

Thanks

C

chas_m

Even though its only in beta at the moment, ACDSee Pro for Mac (see my sig) will do this without messing with whatever way you've organised your picture files. Supports EXIF and IPTC.

OP
L
Reaction score
Even though its only in beta at the moment, ACDSee Pro for Mac (see my sig) will do this without messing with whatever way you've organised your picture files. Supports EXIF and IPTC.

thanks for the response.

im using the trial now, but i cant seem to figure out how to see the metadata. is there no program that i can download that will let me see the metadata of files the way windows does?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Have you tried the Inspector Tool ? Open the jpg with preview (usually just double click on it or CMD + O and then CMD +I for inspector.

Doug

OP
L
Reaction score
Have you tried the Inspector Tool ? Open the jpg with preview (usually just double click on it or CMD + O and then CMD +I for inspector.

Doug

thanks for the reply, i never knew that tool existed. there's a ton of information there, but unfortunately not the data i need. I need to be able to see things like author, comments, title...etc that have been added in windows.

any other ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2006 Macbook Pro 15.4" glossy screen, 2.16 ghz, 640 gb, 2 gb ram
I'm into photography and I've never seen comments embedded in the metadata. I have seen the photographer in some of it, but I suppose it all depends on what the photographer wants to be displayed.

I've used the "command+i" method when using Preview to view the images as well as the "Exif Viewer" plug-in for Firefox. Both of those provide the camera model and settings if available.

C

chas_m

thanks for the response.

im using the trial now, but i cant seem to figure out how to see the metadata.

1. In ACDSee, select the picture.
2. Click on Properties. Directly below that you will see a button that says "Database."
3. Click on it and select EXIF or IPTC to see all the metadata for the picture.

OP
L
Reaction score
thank you all for the help, but i still cant seem to find the metadata that was inputted on a windows machine. I appreciate all the programs, and they all do show plenty of info, but i still cant see what im looking for. maybe i just wont be able to view it on a mac? the info was put (on windows) on the picture, right click>summary>title, author, comments...

if there is anything i can do let me know, and thank you again for all the help

C

chas_m

thank you all for the help, but i still cant seem to find the metadata that was inputted on a windows machine. I appreciate all the programs, and they all do show plenty of info, but i still cant see what im looking for. maybe i just wont be able to view it on a mac? the info was put (on windows) on the picture, right click>summary>title, author, comments...

if there is anything i can do let me know, and thank you again for all the help

Ah, well, why didn't ya say so? I see the problem now.

The problem is that all that metadata was written onto that machine and nowhere else.

If you want to PROPERLY tag photos with metadata, use the EXIF and/or IPTC fields, which are embedded right into the file. Otherwise the info won't "transfer" as you've discovered.

OP
L
Reaction score
Ah, well, why didn't ya say so? I see the problem now.

The problem is that all that metadata was written onto that machine and nowhere else.

If you want to PROPERLY tag photos with metadata, use the EXIF and/or IPTC fields, which are embedded right into the file. Otherwise the info won't "transfer" as you've discovered.

really? because i can move it to another computer that has windows and see the information. but cocoviewx seems to be the only one that shows a comments field and there is nothing there. why do think that is?

C

chas_m

really? because i can move it to another computer that has windows and see the information. but cocoviewx seems to be the only one that shows a comments field and there is nothing there. why do think that is?

Sorry you are right. I meant to say that the metadata you're embedding into the file in Windows is done in a none-standard way (hi, Windows!) and so its limited to that PLATFORM.

EXIF and IPTC were developed exactly *because* of this problem. They are standards that apply across platforms.

What program did you use to embed the metadata on your PC? Maybe that will give us a clue.

In the meantime, have you tried Graphic Converter to examine those files?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.