I need a suggestion... ...

Reaction score
I'm completely new in here, so... ... please bear with me.

I moved to Mac not even a week ago. I bought myself the 2010 Macbook pro 13-inch. I would like to use this as my only computer, so I don't have to have a desktop and a portable. I enjoy the portability. The highest task I randomly run is video converting to watch DVD's on my iPhone and stock market trading. Other than that, is the usual computer stuff. When I need to extra-focus on tasks, I enjoy working on a big 27-inch screen. I currently have an HP 2709m (1920 x 1080 max resolution). When I hook up the macbook Pro to this monitor with the Mini Displayport to DVI cable, the quality is good. Yet, I don't feel, and maybe I am wrong, that the quality is even close to what I saw when I was playing on an iMac 27-inch at the Apple store.

Question #1: What monitor/cables/software do I need to get so that when I hook-up my Macbook Pro to whatever monitor you suggest, I get the same visual experience that an iMac offers?

I wouldn't mind buying a 27-inch Apple Cinema Display, but from what I researched Apple doesn't offer stand-alone 27-inch screens. It's either 24-inch or 30-inch Antiglare, which I'm not a big fan of the latter. I want it glossy.

Question #2: If I buy something like that, will a Macbook Pro 13-inch give me that same visual feeling I get when i'm on an iMac 27-inch or not?

To figure this out, this is the only test I tried and that is: I connected my Macbook Pro 13-inch with a Mini Displayport to DVI cable to a 24-inch Apple Cinema Display. Quality was great, but still not as good or crispy HD as the iMac 27-inch. That concerned me a bit.

Question #3: May it be that the Macbook Pro 13 video card is not capable of handling stunning graphics, even if the Displayport says it can re-project up 2,500 x 1,600?

Question #4: Would upgrading to a Macbook Pro 15-inch resolve the issue, because it says that it has a 3D graphic chip built-in? And also, does that have anything to do with the quality of how the desktop or the dock look or not? Im not a gamer or professional grahic designer, I wouldn't be using it for that.

I hope I made any sense, and it's been bothering me for the longest time. I'd like some clarity or at least feedbacks. Thanks a lot to all of you... ... PLEASE HELP!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
The reason the 27" iMac looks so good is because 1) it is LED backlit and 2) the resolution is 2560x1440 - there really isn't a monitor on the market with those specs. There are plenty of LED backlit screens that look pretty good - but don't have the resolution. There are plenty of 30" monitors but they are all regular LCD with a fluorescent backlight. Anyway - you are packing a lot more pixels into a similar area - which is why the 27" iMac looks so good.

Question - why did you use a Mini Displayport to DVI cable? You should be able just to go Mini Displayport to Mini Displayport. That being said there really shouldn't be any degradation in signal as DVI is still digital.

And I agree - once you see the 27" iMac nothing really compares.

You could test out your other theories - by going to the apple store and using the 27" iMac as a display. There is a mini displayport in back that you should be able to hook up to. See what it looks like hooked up to the iMac using the iMac as a display.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP
The reason the 27" iMac looks so good is because 1) it is LED backlit and 2) the resolution is 2560x1440 - there really isn't a monitor on the market with those specs.

The Dell U2711 uses the same panel as the 27" iMac. It costs a grand though. lol

OP
S
Reaction score
... ...

Davanw,
unfortunately I don't buy anything that has a DELL logo on it. Just a choice i made due to past expriences. Thanks for the suggestion, tho!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.