Problems getting online with G4 (20")

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 3gs, G4 iMac (20" screen)
Hi again guys and gals. Well, I tried the dongle and that didn't work. Now I have fitted an airport extreme card which seems to be working fine ie it finds the networks, but when I enter the password for my network it tells me the password is incorrect! The Mac is running 10.3.2, which I hope to upgrade as soon as I get online.
Any ideas?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Glad to hear you finally agreed with the advice given to you by harry with regard to the dongle. ;D As for the password not working, I'm assuming you're using WEP? WEP is problematic and not very secure, however, it may be the only method of encryption you can use with that machine.

Try this: When it asks for your password, respond by placing a $ sign in front of the password. Do not leave a space between the $ and the password. Let us know if that works.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
alMB, 2.0C2D, 2GB, 500GB, SD, etc
Glad to hear you finally agreed with the advice given to you by harry with regard to the dongle. ;D As for the password not working, I'm assuming you're using WEP? WEP is problematic and not very secure, however, it may be the only method of encryption you can use with that machine.

Try this: When it asks for your password, respond by placing a $ sign in front of the password. Do not leave a space between the $ and the password. Let us know if that works.

Regards.

Or, if that doesn't work, you can always temporarily (if you can) disable the password on your network. Get online, update to 10.3.9, and then put the password back on--some Airport (or other OS X) software may just need updating.

Hope that helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Yes try the above first and remember Panther, especially OS X.3.2 is ancient and an upgrade4 to Tiger or Leopard may see you better fixed for connecting.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 3gs, G4 iMac (20" screen)
Thanks for the advice people. I tried the $ idea, no luck. I am keen to upgrade the software, and as soon as I can get the Mac online, I will. In the meantime, I love watching DVD's on my new big screen, but am getting frustrated by my lack of progress in getting it online.
I have a small netbook (using now). I also have an external burner and some blank cd,s and dvd,s. Is there a way to download something via my netbook?
Any other strategies guys?
Gordon

Reaction score
Change the setting to ask you for the password instead of the computer remembering it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.