• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Android Also Gives Google Remote App Installation Power

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Android Also Gives Google Remote App Installation Power
Android Also Gives Google Remote App Installation Power | threatpost

I can so see this being abused by everyone and anyone. Sure remote wiping a phone if stolen is a good idea but remotely installing and deleting certain apps on your phone. So if big brother does not like a certain app they can do a mass deletion of it. Or mass install their propaganda apps. Not good at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini, i5, SSD & 1TB, 8 GB
When I had the Blackberry Storm, Verizon would remotely install (push) apps on to the Blackberry often. It was annoying. So far I have not had that issue with the Droid Incredible. But I'm sure they will do it sometime in the near future.

Dex

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro 2.66 ghz C2D 4 GB RAM
Or with an open source app store and no in depth approval process, they can uninstall malicious apps that don't do what they're supposed to do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Well to be fair, Google removed applications that were in violation of its TOS and had already been pulled from the Marketplace. Practically nobody had them installed, so it was more like a cleanup act.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Sorry, I do not want anyone from the outside zapping anything from my phone, computer, whatever. I see your point but am totally against Apple, Google, whoever having control over my device and remove anything from my device.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
Sorry, I do not want anyone from the outside zapping anything from my phone, computer, whatever. I see your point but am totally against Apple, Google, whoever having control over my device and remove anything from my device.
They are doing this to help the hopeless users, the ones that buy a new computer when they get a virus. I wish that instead of them deleting the app, they would pop a warning message on your screen about the app that you have. That way people have the choice if they want to delete it or keep it. I agree with you that Apple and Google shouldn't be poking around deleting things, but I understand where they're coming from.

Reaction score
Well to be fair, Google removed applications that were in violation of its TOS and had already been pulled from the Marketplace. Practically nobody had them installed, so it was more like a cleanup act.

Didn't Apple do the same thing?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
What I'm more concerned about is that some person outside of Google is able to hack the process and do it themselves since the backdoor feature is built in. Whether a person wants to trust Google is one thing but it's an entirely different problem when an untrustworthy person is able to do it.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Didn't Apple do the same thing?

No.

Apple removed the apps from it's App Store. But copies of the apps already downloaded before they are removed stay on your phone.

But Google on Android removes the apps from their app store and also remotly removes them (uninstalls) them from your phone too without your knowledge. That is the difference.

Reaction score
No.

Apple removed the apps from it's App Store. But copies of the apps already downloaded before they are removed stay on your phone.

But Google on Android removes the apps from their app store and also remotly removes them (uninstalls) them from your phone too without your knowledge. That is the difference.

Oh. I see.

I'd rather have it Apple's way- I'll keep the app I've downloaded, even if it means it'll never be updated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp
I guess it would take a forensic examination of the phone to be carried out to find out if they are still doing it.

There is this from the apple site:

Find My iPhone

CVE-ID: CVE-2010-1776

Available for: iOS 2.0 through 3.1.3 for iPhone 3G and later, iOS 2.1 through 3.1.3 for iPod touch (2nd generation) and later

Impact: A device with a MobileMe account configured may be remotely wiped, even if "Find My iPhone" is disabled.

Also this:

Apple Headed for Privacy Row With iOS 4 Update

http://www.governmentsecurity.org/global-security-news/apple-headed-for-privacy-row-with-ios-4-update.html

Still think apple has taken that code out?

they are all as bad as each other.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp
having the capability to do something and actually doing it are two different things. Sure Apple can do this. But I doubt they ever would. Google on the other hand probably would and already have I think.

doubt, probably and think....all sounds a little tenuous to me.

Why do you think they would include it if they didn't indent to use it?

Its pointless having a conversion with a fanboy. Even when shown that facts they argue that black is white.

I give up.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Remote Wipe for the Iphone is for phones that are stolen so the users data can be deleted for their protection. You can disagree but that is a fact.

Also no name calling or insulting of any member here is allowed.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
With Apple all the time. Apple patent and include a heap of stuff for the simple purpose of so their competitors can't use it. Or get good ideas from it.

I know Apple is not God on Earth. They make mistakes. But this time they did no wrong. Mind you if they use the kill switch and start deleting apps then I'd be worried. But for the time being it's all ok.

And please do not call me a fan boy. I just as many others here would be insulted by that comment. I like Apple as do you. If you hated Apple you would not be posting on an Apple based forum.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.